Small business network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
Hello,

I am trying to set up a small business network for about 15-20 people, and have it allow for growth. I have never set up one of these networks before, and want to make sure I am setting this up correctly. Any help anyone can provide would be great. Each employee needs to have their own account to log onto XP.

How I want it set up:
I want to be able to have all of the computer access the server, which will need to back up all the data nightly. I then need the network to allow a few laptops to access the network from a separate location.

What I think I need (need some help on what will be the best to use, should I go with Dell, Cisco, doesn't matter?):
A server (The Dell Online Store: Build Your System)
A Switch (Dell PowerConnect 3524 Details)
Networking software (Microsoft Small Business 2008?)
Backup (Dell PowerVault 114T/114X Details)
Then need NIC cards for each computer
Ethernet Cables

How to set it up:
Ok, so I will set up Microsoft Small Business on the server (how difficult is this to do?). Then plug that into the switch. I then will plug all of the computers into the switch, and then I am not really sure what to do.

Any advise anyone can provide would be great.
Thanks!

Small Business Server can only run be on one computer in the domain. If you do not plan on adding domains then you would be set. You can have more than one server, but none of the others could be Small Business Server. The other servers can run Windows Server 2008 for example.

If installing Small Business Server is anything like installing Windows Server (and I am thinking it would be easier) you shouldn't have too much problem doing so. I have installed Windows Server many times, including setting up virtual machines on a server, and it is pretty straightforward with the Wizards.

Small Business Server can only run be on one computer in the domain. If you do not plan on adding domains then you would be set. You can have more than one server, but none of the others could be Small Business Server. The other servers can run Windows Server 2008 for example.

If installing Small Business Server is anything like installing Windows Server (and I am thinking it would be easier) you shouldn't have too much problem doing so. I have installed Windows Server many times, including setting up virtual machines on a server, and it is pretty straightforward with the Wizards.

Would using Windows server only be the way to go?

Does the physical set up of the network and the hardware I have above seem correct?

Seems fine. You most likely will not need nic cards for each computer as most will already have them. Unless they need an upgrade to 10/100/1000.

You could save some cash by looking here:
Newegg.com - Networking,Wired Networking,Switches,Rackmount,13Ports - 30Ports

You can get 24 port gigabyte switches for under $200. The one you listed is only 10/100.

I prefer to map my documents to a server location for ease of backups with the option to work offline.

Set up the appropriate network shares and have logon scripts set up to map the drives to each workstation as needed.

So much you can do just a matter of how far you want to take it.

Would using Windows server only be the way to go?

Does the physical set up of the network and the hardware I have above seem correct?

Brock

You can use Small Business Server, I just wanted to let you know the difference in terms of growth (i.e., growth in the network to multiple domains if it applies later). And yes, it seems correct. Plus you can check into Hefe's suggestions.

You can use Small Business Server, I just wanted to let you know the difference in terms of growth (i.e., growth in the network to multiple domains if it applies later). And yes, it seems correct. Plus you can check into Hefe's suggestions.

Well, it is really hard for me to know how much expansion will happen in the future for the company, but I want to make sure that there is the capability of doing so. I haven't had any experience with SBS or Windows Server, so I am not sure really what would be the best fit or if there is something else that would better fit my needs. From what you seem to be saying it sounds like Windows Server may be the best way to go.

Well I would compare the costs of the two operating systems. If they are comparable in price, I would go with Windows Server 2008 but if it is way more expensive then I would hold off and go with Small Business Server.

Well I would compare the costs of the two operating systems. If they are comparable in price, I would go with Windows Server 2008 but if it is way more expensive then I would hold off and go with Small Business Server.

Ok, and I am just assuming while installing SBS or Windows Server that I can set it up for employees to use laptops at home to access the server? Also, when setting this up do I need a router, or will connecting the internet directly to sever allow for all the users to connect to the internet?

Sorry for all of the questions but I want to make sure I have everything correct before I spend the money.

So, I install Windows Server on the server. I then set the settings (users, etc.) on the server. Then on the computer the employees use what do I need installed on those (XP?)?

I then need to install Microsoft Office on all of the employee computers.

The employees should then be able to log on from any computer and access their files, right?

Depends on the Windows Server you use. If you use Windows Server 2008, you probably would want to go with VIsta or Win 7 on each client. XP would work, but because Windows Server can have a higher forest functional level than XP, Vista or Win 7 would be a better choice. And of course, the official Win 7 releases hasn't happened yet.

Many businesses balked at trying VIsta, and initially there was reason to. It has gotten much better over time, but Microsoft is pushing full bore on Win7 now, so obviously there will be a lot of emphasis on Microsoft's part to support Win 7 in the coming years until Win8 is ready down the road a few years.

So what do I mean by all this ? I would compare the cost of Small Business Server ( I don't know how much it is) and compare it to Windows Server 2008. The reason I say this, is because if you don't think you will need another domain (most likely not if it is a small business and shall probably remain one for a while).

I don't know what kind of business that you are involved with, but unless you see a fairly astronomic growth in the future then I would think Small Business Server would be enough. It is all inclusive : it has IIS, (Internet Inforamtion Services) , built-in Exchange , and more.

However, like I said before, if you really feel that you will have say 200 employees or less down the road, then one domain should suffice.

Ok, moving forward, if you do use Windows Server 2008 for example, you can have more than one server having Windows Server on it. Compared to Small Business Server, which can have only one server using SBS. SBS uses the one-domain concept, whereas WIndows Server 2008 (and 2003 and even earlier) use the multiple domain concept.

There is a lot that goes into Windows Server operating systems - way too much for me to write here, and it would only serve to confuse you until you learn more about it.

The bottom line is, if you use Windows Server operating systems, it is probably overall more flexible, and it uses "functional levels", meaning, there are some parameters that need to be understood, such as Domain Functional Level, Forest Functional Level (for multiple domains), Native Mode, Mixed Mode, etc.

These principles are just some of the guidelines needed to be understood so you know what you can expect to be able to upgrade in the future.

ABSOLUTE bottom line: lol I have gotten way off track, sorry.

You should be able to do what you need with SBS unless you figure on massive growth in your business. The laptops can be given access to network shares and you can set up the Exchange settings to handle e-mail. I would research this all a bit more before you take just my word on it. I have dealt with Windows Server 2003 mostly, and have studied Windows Server 2008 from a book (to compare what I know about Windows 2003).

So I am by no means an authority on the subject. Just so you know. I do think getting more opinions is worthwhile. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom