SLOW SLOW wireless speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalin

Solid State Member
Again I come to you for help! I came to this forums about a week ago asking for little help on what wireless routers where a good buy, I ended up with the d-link DIR-655 Xtreme N gigabit router and DWA-552 Xtreme N desktop PCI adapter. My setup is on the first floor of my house conected to a old xp computer then my new vista and another computer run on the wireless on the 2nd floor.

The problem.
Well the connection speed makes dial-up look like a speed god, I have moved my computer to about 50 feet from the router from here I lag to the point where gaming is not possible the lag is so bad. If I move my computer where it should be I can't even connect to the game server or to any sites for that matter, My DL rate was at 1.80kb in my room, where I am at now i get up to 500kb dl rate to not working at all.

So whats wrong here? My old wireless router that was like 8 years old worked it laged it would drop the connection but for the most part it worked! This new router just dose not seem to want to work at all could I have a lemon? should I take it back? Or is it a lack of experiance and i am missing somthing?

And I lost connection 4 times posting this message!

Maybe you might have to move closer, it might be that you have some interference from other devices in the area (electronic devices).

I did a speed test at speakeasy.com I got 469dl and 90ul! I am no expert but this seems very slow to me. Electronic device idea was the first thing to come to my mind aswell, what would be the best to get around this issue other then moveing the computer? Thats not really a option for me right now.

You gotta look around your place for things thast might cause interference.

Cordless phones, and other large electrical sources are interferers.

Try moving the router to a high point. Keep it from under desks, away walls etc. You've probably got it in the old spot though.

Hmm, a though.. You have it on N? or G?

Try going to G on both. N is still not finished I think.
As well as try a driver reinstall. But get the newest drivers possible.

There are also settings that lessen the signal strength, so as to not send signal further than you need to. I believe it's like tx signal strength. Ensure its at max.

Yes i do have it in the same spot as my old one, but i have added a wireless skype phone since then after work I will try to disconnect that and see if that helps. I did update the firmwear when I got it, that didn't help at all, as for the tx singal strength thing I do not know how to check on that but I will try to figure it out. And I was thinking about buying a antenna with a long cord and mount it on a wall think this would help?

Yes it should.

The tx strength, should just be an option in the config menus of the router.

Have you tried any other computers in the bad spot.. Would show if its a router or network card issue.

Just browsed the manual, and the important settings are in the wireless settings page. There it has a channel scan to find your best frequency, i'ds try that, as well as make sure everythings set for your liking.

the TX is in the advanced wireless page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom