Slow data transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctum

Beta member
I have a problem and need some advice.

I recently added a new server to my home network (Qnap TS-101) primarily to act as a NAS to stream music around the home. All was working fine, all transfer speeds to and from the unit only limited by the speed of my wireless network.

I then decided to activate the webserver functions of the server so I could host family photos etc for remote access. Having never done this before I got a bit of advice and jumped in feet first.

I set the werver WAN option to enable remote access, I gave the server a static IP and I set the server IP up as the IP outside the DMZ on the router.

Ever since then I have had odd behaviour when transfering data off the server (not onto it), the transfer speed off the server runs at an average of 120kB/s, identical to my broadband average download speed. BUT when I start a simultaneous download from an external website, the total data transfer speed on the network jumps to 1.5MB/s, and it's the server transfer that has speeded up from 120kB/s to 1.4MB/s.

I've reset everything but the static IP, rebooted, switched cables, and nothing has resolved this issue.

Anyone seen this type of behaviour before and knows the cause/solution?

Hardware:
Router - Linksys BEFDSR41W
Wireless access point - Netgear WAG602
Server - Qnap TS-101 running Linux
Desktop PC 1 - netgear wireless card running XP home sp2
Desktop PC 2 - netgear wireless card running windows 98
Laptop - Centrino 802.11g wireless running XP home sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom