Simple network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hi there Tech Forums, I've not posted on here in a fair time. However, I return with a new problem for you wonderful people to help me with.

I'm trying to set up what I can only assume would be a network, but on a more simple basis. All I want this network to do is allow three computers to send files to a single computer, which is located downstairs in my house.

The problem with this is that all the computers are running different OS's. My main PC (VISTA-01) is running Vista Home Premium, one laptop is running Vista Basic (VISTA-02), one laptop is running XP Home (XP-02), and the computer (XP-01) where I want the files to be transferable to is running on XP Proffesional. My naming convention for the computers is fairly generic, but who cares....

All the PCs, excluding XP-01, connect to the internet through wireless means from a Linksys router. XP-01 connects to the net directly through the router via wires. It features no wireless functionality. Will this prevent me from doing any kind of networking with the other wirless computers?

Sorry for the mass of text, I'll simplify it now to save all our sanity. Basically, is there a way for me to set up a folder, which, when 'stuff' is dragged into it, it becomes avaliable on all the PC's, including the downstairs non-wireless XP-01?

Any help would be grande, cheers.

If the XP-01 is on the same network, then yes you can.

1. Go to a PC; right click on "My Computer" and then click "Properties"

2. Click on the "Computer Name" tab, then click the "Change" button.

3. Check the circle that says "Workgroup"

4. In the box below "Workgroup" type in the name of what you want to call it, the default is MSHOME i think; so there should be no problem with that.

Do this to the other computers aswell. =]

OH.

Restart your PC's :D

Hello there, I have already done this, by giving them all the name HUB, however, from here on out, i'm a bit confused as to how I should proceed? I've had a look at the file sharing and network malarky in Vista, and enabled 'network discovery' and 'file sharing', but XP doesn't have such an equivelent. So how do I go about copying files from this PC (Vista-01) to XP-01 ?

Thanks for the help so far.

Vista and XP don't network well sometimes. Even if you run the network setup wizard on XP and whatever the network thing is in Vista, they still don't play well sometimes.

First off, you need to have the files you want to share in a folder. Then you right click on the folder and click on sharing and security. This is for the XP machines.

On the Vista machines, there is a folder called public. You need to drag the files you want to share to that folder. You also have to enable that option in the network and discovery center.

As far as Vista and XP not working well together, our network is setup with an XP home machine and a Vista Premium machine and I have not had any problems with that.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom