Sharing resources on different networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelob

Beta member
I'm running XP Pro at home and I have 2 computers, each one on a different private network. The 2 networks are connected with a router and I have connectivity to both computer and the internet. When the computers were on the same network i could easilly share folder and printers, but now the computers won't see each other. And by the way no firewalls are in place. My gateway router is taking care of that. Now how to I configure windows to see each others shared resources? Any ideas are welcome.

Brian Rebelo

what are the ip addresses of each computer? goto start > run and type "cmd" and hit enter. once a command prompt is up type "ipconfig" and mark down the IP address of one of 'em. then, from the other computer goto internet explorer and type "\\192.168.1.2" into your address bar. (make sure that the "192.168.1.2" is replaced with whatever the ip address is of the other computer. and also make sure that you type all this stuff in WITHOUT quotes. do you get anything??

Ok, using \\x.x.x.x worked. I have access to the shared folders. I'm still stuck on the printer. My printer is shared and it shows up, but I can not use it. It tells me "RPC server not available". How do I go around that? But thanks for the help so far.

No service pack. just the security patches. Some one told me that I have to create a domain to share resources across different subnets. Is that true?

I think I figured it out. I have to enable master browser broadcasts over the router. UDP 137 and 138. I can see the other computer on my workgroup but my printer is still not available. I wonder if it uses some sort of broadcast. If so I have to configure it too. If you guys know why my printer is doing this let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom