Setting up a network server. Recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing. How can I install a program on one computer and access it via desktop shortcut on another computer. I keep getting dll not found errors and everything. Is there anyway to do this so all I have to do do is make a shortcut to the exe hosted on the server?

Thanks

Setting up a domain

How would one set up a domain? Is it possible in Windows XP or do you need a network server to run it?

I mean to create a domain, not just connect to it.

--Thanks

There is one other item you have to be concerned about when setting up a Windows 2003 Server...how many users will be logged in to the server at one time. The standard Windows 2003 Server comes with 5 user licenses. If more than that number are logged in at one time, you will have to purchase additional licenses from Microsoft. Your $1000 budget is going to be used up for just the software needed and not for any equipment. Because of moentary restraints, you should look at forming three seperate workgroups (XP only suggests 10 PC's per workgroup) and use a router and three switches to join the three LAN segements. The router will join the three different LAN segemnts and the switches will let you connect 10 PC's to one segment of the three LAN's. You can then set up mapped network drives on an external network hard drive so students can acess files that are needed. This is not the most optimum way of doing this, but it does fall within your $1000 budget. Hope this helps..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom