setting up 2 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michowski1

Baseband Member
I have 2 linksys wireless g routers and I want to set both of them up because im running the vonage internet phones and just ran out of plugs for everything. How do you go about setting up 2 routers?

Either put them on different subnets or disable DHCP on one of them.

It doesnt get any easier than that.

Hope that helps.

sry im a noob to networking but how do you disable dhcp on one of them. Is there a switch on the back or do you have to change that in the settings? and which one has be be plugged in from the modem. With or without dhcp

I dont know what your topology looks like.

Do you have two wifi routers and then like a voip router with both telecommunication ports and ethernet ports?

Or do you have two wifi routers and wireless wifi phones?

It all depends on which router you have set to receive your lease from your isp, or it should be setup like that.

Router1 receives your wan connection to your isp.
Router1 should have dhcp enabled for the internal network.
Router2 should have dhcp disabled. (basicly making it an Access point).

or

Router1 receives your wan connection to your isp.
Router1 should have dhcp enabled for the internal network.
Router2 is on a different subnet.

Subnets
Router1 (192.168.1.100)
Router2 (192.168.2.100)

If you have a voip router
Router1 and Router2 with either of the above mentioned setups, and then just put the voip router on its own subnet.

I personally have two wireless routers running on different subnets, and then a voip router running on a different subnet as well.

Router1 (192.168.1.100)
Router2 (192.168.2.100)
Voip Router (192.168.25.100)
or any variation.

Internal subnet masking is pretty straight forward in this aspect, it doesnt really matter how you subnet it, cause wasting address space isnt really a concern in your home network.

This all needs to be done inside the router. Using your browser to login to the router, or telnetting in, depends on router, but your probably working with a web based router.

Setting internal DHCP, turning it on or off, and setting the subnets is normally on the basic setup page, or the main page.

Good luck.

ok I see what you mean. Both wireless linksys routers are setup online with 192.168.1.1. With both of them plugged in I dont see how you can change any setting on either and know which settings were changed on which when and if they even worked at all.

When I get off work today il try changing the subnet ip's. For the 2 phone voip routers they both connect by just plugging into the back of the linksys router using a standard cat 5 cable. Once they get that internet connection they just take off on there own.

Il let you know how things turn out after I get off work and have a chance to sit down and mess around with this stuff. Im good with just a single internet router alone but throw 2 in there and im like a retard in a round rubber room running around trying to find a corner to sit in.

I cant figure it out. I cant get internet out of both hubs pluged in at the same time. Im such a network noob. Il have to see if I can find somebody who knows what there doing to teach me. Thanks for the info tho. I completly understand what your saying, I just cant do it lol. I already copy and pasted that info and its saved so thanks again.

Maybe this will help alittle. I should have clearified sooner.

All routers will need to have the "receive incoming DHCP" or how ever it may be listed in your routers.

There are two dhcp settings in your router.

One which is set to accept DHCP from your isp,
And the other to "act" as a dhcp server for your internal network.

It is possible that your isp has given you a static ip address, but its not probable. But its a good way to tell where you are when looking at your routers GUI if your a noob...no offense, you said it first..lol. Anyway, if you get what im saying there, then you can apply what i posted in my previous posts by remembering that if you want to use different subnets for your network

Router1 192.168.1.100
Router2 192.168.2.100

then both router1 and router2 need to be acting as a dhcp server, and you need to specify the range or pool (could be called either in the router GUI) range on 1 could be 1.100 - 1.130 or really anything as long as you dont change the 1 thats in the third octet.

Hope maybe that cleared some of that up.

The best part, playing with it, try different subnets, try leaving incoming dhcp on all routers so each or all supply the others with address's, find the problems, or set router addresses staticly inside or outside of subnets and see if you can get it working.

Honestly, you can learn alot from frustration, bloody knuckles, and broken keyboards, even broken 2600 series cisco routers(not recommended, teachers dont like that..lol)

Good luck

wait.......did you say hubs in one of your posts?

What are you using

Routers
Switches
Hubs
Repeaters
??????????????

we need to find a layer and stick with it. If your using hubs then almost none of the above applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom