Setting up 2 networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

zircom

Beta member
I am trying to setup 2 networks on 1 PC.

I have a wireless network for my 2 pc's and that is working ok. However, I want to connect the onboard Ethernet connections between them just for transfering large files between the 2 pc's. When i try to set them up even with different subnets i cannot get it to work.

Any ideas

They are running XP Professional SP2

THanks

umm have you tried creating a new home network and naming it something different than your wireless one? You could change the way each computer connects to each other from wireless to hard wired. In the Set Up Home Network options, choose to connect through another computer or soemthing along those lines.

just plug them into the router - windows xp will automatically select the fastest method (either wireless or ethernet)

When u don't want ethernet anymore, just unplug the wire.

I think what he meant was, he want to transfer file between two machines with a cross over cable.

Of course you'll need a cross over cable.
You don't have to manually assign the IP address and subnet mask, Windows XP will automatic assign you an address (APIPA) with an address of 169.254.X.X and subnet mask 255.255.0.0

When you said it doesn't work 'when you have them on different subnets'.... were you saying that each PC was on a different subnet? They have to be in the SAME subnet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom