Running a Proxy over a routered Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhero569

Beta member
Hi everyone, long time lurker.

I have a question about running a proxy server on one of the computers on my routered network.

I have an older computer that I want to set up a proxy server on at home. That way, when I'm out and about, I can connect my laptop over the internet through a proxy to use my connection at home. I've tried running WinGate as a proxy server but was not sure if it would be adequately secure.

What program should I use to establish a secure, password protected proxy on my home machine?

i don't understand why you want to use a proxy. if you're away from home and have an internet connection, why would you want to use your internet connection from home? Reasons to use an proxy server would include cached pages, web filtering, and logging traffic.

Regardless, I would prolly setup a VPN server at home and try building a box with Squid (linux).

Just sounds like he wants to use something like Circumventor. That way he uses his proxy setup at home to browse rather than the connection from wherever he's at. Just using a proxy to bypass a proxy.

Common Uses...
1) Can't always establish a solid VPN connection... too much overhead.

2) For light browsing and/or light multimedia streaming (when a proxy filters certain pages), Circumventor is perfect.

3) "Hacking" if you want to get caught...
Though... You'd be amazed at how many you can stack on yourself too. If the machines were on, I could be in Italy with this IP address in the states showing up. All it would take is knowing a password off of someone's wireless router (easy if it's the default) A laptop left in the vicinity connected to the WLAN and then you bouncing off of it. A little more complex than that, but yea... if you wanted to get caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom