Router vs. Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthetic

Baseband Member
I have a Mac and a PC. I want them both to go on the internet. I don't care about having wireless access or anything like that. Can I use a switch? Or do I need a router?

If I just have a cable modem currently, don't have a Local Area Network? Isn't that what switches are used for?

If I get a router, I was thinking of getting this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_details/002-8732647-0255235?ie=UTF8&seller=
It usually goes for much more in other places I've checked. I know that compact routers usually give poorer wireless signals, but since I don't care about wireless, this does not concern me.

And can I use a wireless router as a wired router?

I'm confused really. Help!

Thanks.

No, a switch is NOT the same as a hub. A hub retransmits data from one port to all of the others, and all computers connected to it can see it, but only the one it was intended for uses it, the rest ignore it. A switch determines which port data is intended for and only sends it to that port.

As far as what you need...
You will MOST LIKELY need a router, but depending on what modem you have, there may be a router built in, in which case a switch or hub will work just fine. There are other cases where a switch/hub would work as well, but they most likely dont apply here.

Edit: Keep in mind: you can get a cheap router for about as much as a switch, and a router adds more functionality, so it may be advantageous to use a router in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom