Router troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

traemyn

Beta member
K, I have a 4-port LinkSys Cable/DSL "Network Everywhere" router

it has worked fine for about 2 months and out of no where its acting very strangely

originally I had the cable internet network cord plugged into the "Internet" slot, and then my 2 computers plugged into the 1st and 2nd slot, k , that worked yippee everything is great!

then one day I can't get connected to the internet with one computer.. and the other one works.. so I fiddle around with it, reset the modem and router etc (not really changing anything) and it starts working again, awesome

yesterday I come home and the internet doesn't work on either of them, so I do the same fiddling, can't get it to work
so then I decide to "mess" with some other settings on the router

originally I thought it might have something to do with the fact that I used it on my buddies DSL a couple weeks ago and had to configure the static IP properties, but I changed the IP settings back the day I got back from his house

alright, the only thing I have touched is the DHCP (spelling?) settings b/c I couldn't remember if it was originally enabled or disabled, so I fiddled with that and I swear I got it to work but I wake up this morning and I can't even connect to the router AT ALL. the IP doesn't do anything, the green lights for the Internet, and both computers are lit up on the router.

I have changed the IP of the router accidentally before but I swear I didn't touch it recently. Right now I have the internet plugged into the "Uplink" port and the comptuers are in 2 and 3, and it seems to be working.. still can't access the router setup

I am really confused and am not sure where to go from here

could someone help me out? thanks

EDIT: hmm ok, one of computers just lost the internet. and then both of them did. I am now plugged in straight to the modem. wtf?

Router overflowed... may be? Happened to my friend.
Try to update firmware also.

Hmmmm, with just 2 PCs??? Routers are built to handle quite a bit of traffic. And only 1 PC seems to be down. Sounds like a setting on the network card.
On the problem PC...Right click on My computer > Properties > Click on the Hardware tab > Device Manager > find the network adapter and goto the properties of the network adapter.
There should be a tab for Power Management. Make sure that you dont have anything checked in this area. There should be one option of major concern here:
Allow the computer to shut down this device to save power.
unfortunatly, when windows is installed with an enbedded network adapter, this option is checked as a default! Just uncheck it and see if this improves the performance.

-Mike

oops

well I had accidentally disabled my DHCP thingy.. so thats why I couldnt access it with the IP, oops

I used the reset switch and its working again now, I will investigate the power thing

thx

Well, disabling your DHCP server on a DHCP network might cause a problem or two...

A little advice traemyn, when dealing with the router, be a little careful, sometimes those things are very sensitive and if you click the wrong thing, you will be internetless (Is that a word? Well, it is now :) )

I am curious, how did you accidently change the IP address to your router?

It might be helpfull to know how to change the router IP. (I forgot...:D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom