router to switch porting

Status
Not open for further replies.

antirem

In Runtime
I want to run a FTP from my downstairs computer. I have a wireless and a wired card in my PC. My wireless dosnt get good enough conection to run a fast ftp but I have gotten the ftp to work. I cant get the ftp to get online if i need to use my wired card. I susspect that this is because my PC is hooked into a router/switch that is plugged (via uplink port) to another router. I have a Wireless G Broadband Router/switch WRT54G (router 1) from linksys. This is what I run my modem to for internet. A cable from router 1 runs into another linksys router/switch (router 2). This second router/switch has an uplink port and im able to surf the web and do whatever with it as long as I plug a cord from router 1 into it. I have set router 1 to 192.168.1.1 and router 2 is set at 192.168.2.1 I dont know if I have to duel port forward because of my configuration. If you know anything bout this reply plz.. ty

What I think you mean is Internet > Router 1 > Router 2 > Computer

What you need to do is forward the right port. I don't know whether you need to forward it on both routers though. Try forwarding it to your computers IP address on just the first router. If this doesn't work then you need to forward router 1 to router 2, and then on router 2 forward the port to your computer.

If router 2 is actually just a switch then you won't need to forward anything on this as long as on router 1 you have forwarded to your IP address. This is actually the same as my set up as far as I can see.

Buying a cheap switch would be a much better idea.

2 NAT's (2 routers) is a bad idea for a home network.

The resason im using two router/switches is because I am playing with the wireless AP's on em. I havnt seen switches that have wireless on them becuase switches work by sending data to specific ports and wireless sends to a wide range. I do have a 5 port linksys switch but then I lose my wireless fun.

yep you will need to port forward port 21 (or whatever port you are running ftp on) to your second router and then again on your second router forward the same port to your ftp server.

ok... im having some trouble doin that. Just need to play with it a bit longer. Thanks!

Turn off the DHCP on the router that isn't directly connected to the internet. That will essentially turn it into a switch.

No, DHCP is just how the router get's it's IP address, it's automatically assigned with DHCP and if the IP address somehow changes then the port forwarding rule may be broken. Set up everything to do with the server with a static IP address, including the server.

You'll still have your wirelessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom