Is a router really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
As of right now all i have splitting up my connection is a Linksys router. I was wondering if i could get a switch and hook it directly to my DSL modem, as i have a feeling that it would eliminate the problem of my buddy not being able to connect when i setup a CS:S server (even if i open ports on the router).

Heres what i want to do:
untitled-2.jpg

Will this work?

possibility, it depends on the subnet that your DSL modem is set too... if you're on a 255.255.255.252 subnet, then you can't, because you're modem will only allow for 1 IP address. If you go in and change the subnet on your modem, it may cause you to lose internet connection.

The problem with using a switch, is that in order to get more than 1 host connected at a time, you will have to get additional IP's from the ISP, and that costs extra every month. The beauty of using a router is NAT, which gives the routers WAN interface the SINGLE ISP IP address, and it then gives private addresses to the hosts on the network, and many hosts can use that single IP address.

Have you tried placing your PC in the DMZ in the router to see if that solves the problem? What about temporarly connecting your PC directly to the modem?

DMZ is the "DeMilitarized Zone".

From the WRT54G user guide "The DMZ feature allows one network user to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service such
as Internet gaming or videoconferencing. DMZ hosting forwards all the ports at the same time to one PC. The Port
Range Forward feature is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ
hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer to the Internet.
Any PC whose port is being forwarded must have its DHCP client function disabled and should have a new static
IP address assigned to it because its IP address may change when using the DHCP function.
To expose one PC, select Enable. Then, enter the computer's IP address in the DMZ Host IP Address field.
Change these settings as described here and click the Save Settings button to apply your changes or Cancel
Changes to cancel your changes."

I wonder if your ISP is blocking the ports your buddy would need to connect.

I don't know much about this particular game server, but is there a way to change the connection port?

Try connecting the host directly to the modem for a short time to see if then your friend can connect to the server. If that is the case, you will want to find out what ports CS:S uses (can't find this out at work, game related stuff blocked by firewall), and forward them in the router to your PC.... Also, I would use a static IP address with your computer so that you don't have to change the router settings if your computer gets a different IP address from the router when the DHCP lease is up, or when it re-connects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom