Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezhead18

Baseband Member
Hello all, I have a little problem with a router thats less than a year old...

One day, when desiring to surf the net, I came across the "little to no activity" pop-up bubble that windows so happily shares with its users. "No sweat," I say, as I power cycle both the router (a Wired Cable/DSL Linksys, Model # BEFSR41, Version 4) and the modem (a Motorola SB5101 SURFboard cable modem). This did not work, and I tried several times. I then plugged my computer into the modem directly, and it worked fine.

So... i tried the router again, and... nothing. Heres where it gets messy, I tried my other computer directly into the modem and I got no connection, then I power cycled, but still nothing. What could be happening here?

I have tried "repair connection" many times, have hit the "reset" button on the back of my router, and have tried every cable combination possible to no avail.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Peace :)

Check your DHCP settings and your DNS settings. Sounds like an addressing problem to me. Look in your network connection proerties for the settings for DHCP and DNS. Usually these are set to automatically get an address. Also, open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all then hit enter. It should give you info about your DNS server, DHCP server, IP address etc. Are you able to ping your router? Can you ping your loopback address of 127.0.0.1?

My dns and dhcp are all enabled and set to auto. How do i tell if i can ping my router/loopback address?

Thanks again.

Are you on a cable line? if you are unplug your modem for a few minutes and then turn it back on do this at the same time of your router it should fix the problem.

Are you on a cable line? if you are unplug your modem for a few minutes and then turn it back on do this at the same time of your router it should fix the problem.

Good advice. I would power off both, then wait a few minutes and power on the modem and let it initialize then power on the router. To ping open a command prompt byu clicking start, run, and in the box type cmd and hit enter. Then type ipconfig /all and hit enter. This will tell you your IP address, default gateway (usually your router) DNS server, etc. Type ping whatever the IP of the default gateway is and hit enter. Example ping 192.168.1.1
Also ping 127.0.0.1 that is the loopback address. If you get time outs on that you have a bad NIC.

I tried unplugging the router and modem together and restarting them, but that didn't work, still no packets received through the router.

Pinging my default gateway didn't work while plugged into the router, however I got 0% loss on the loopback, so my NIC is fine.

I tried pinging my default gateway with internet access established, but I still timed out, is this the root of the problem? Again, I HAVE INTERNET but I can't ping my default gateway, problem?

Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom