Router or Extender, Wired or Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidwell8

Baseband Member
Is it possible to have 2 routers on the same network working individually i.e when 1 is off the other will still connect and not need a master router, so to speak? Id like to have a seperate router just in my room for my PS3 and laptop without affecting the connections of the other router which hosts the phone line and my sisters connections.

I havent yet tried anything i wanted to know how this would work before i start spending. The only router we have in the house at the moment always looses connection when someone is on the phone and seems to get turned off alot when im in a game so it'd be nice to have some control over my own use.

They would both need to be connected to the modem. So the one router you are talking about that you currently have, it either connects into a modem provided by your ISP or the router is the modem.

Most modems provided by ISP's don't have two ports to plug into, just one. And that one is probably already being used by the current router.

Your only option would be to make the one connection coming out of the modem into multiple connections - only way of doing that is to use a switch, hub or router.

Why don't you try a different location for the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom