Replacing main computer in wireless network

helms1963

Solid State Member
I'm replacing my main desktop computer in my att 2 wire wireless router. My question is how do I set up the computer in the wireless network. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

helms1963 said:
I'm replacing my main desktop computer in my att 2 wire wireless router.
I have no idea what that means... but, from what I gather, you want wireless on your desktop.

You'll either have to buy a USB wireless adpater, or (if you can) install a PCI-e wireless card in your computer in order for the desktop to receive wireless signals.

The wireless network is setup thru that computer someway. That computer is hooked up with ethernet cable the 2wire router sets right beside that computer. Maybe all I have to do is plug the ethernet cable in and it will be ready to go. That computer is not connected right know an I still hav e wireless everwhere in house. I just remember when they hooked it up they had to go into that computer to set the networking I thought I could be wrong thanks for any advice

Are you getting a new router, because you are you leaving the company that provided it?

If so, then you'll most likely setup the new router with your desktop, yes. You can setup a new wireless routers through pretty much anything nowadays. Anything with a network adapter, essentially.

The wireless network is setup thru that computer someway. That computer is hooked up with ethernet cable the 2wire router sets right beside that computer. Maybe all I have to do is plug the ethernet cable in and it will be ready to go. That computer is not connected right know an I still hav e wireless everwhere in house. I just remember when they hooked it up they had to go into that computer to set the networking I thought I could be wrong thanks for any advice
They probably used that computer to access the setup web page built into your router to set your SSID, security, passphrase, etc... for the router. You can remove/replace that computer from the network without issue because the settings are kept in the router, not the computer that was used to do the setup.

Yeah the more I thought about it I don't think I'll have to do anything but plug the ethernet cable. I'm keeping the att 2wire there's nothing wrong with it. Thanks a lot appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom