Reluctant connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
First off... jeez, I didn't realize how busy it is in here...

Anyway, I'm trying to help a buddy at work with his comp. he is wanting to learn how to troubleshoot it (and any future problems he might have), as well as get his rig in tip-top shape.

So, I had him update Windows... took him a couple of hours... then I went over. I installed O&O Defrag for him, as well as MS Windows Defender. I installed and ran TweakNow to help clean up his recistry, and RegCompact to defrag it.

He had already uninstalled Norton AV, as he had went with the Mcafee that is offered through AOL (he keeps the AOL for Broadband because of the email addy he's had for years).

Well, his rig wasn't in bad shape at all, but he has developed a problem with his DSL. After booting, his connection doesn't want to connect. He tried to explain it to me, but I didn't get it, so I went back over there. The first several attempts to reach a page after booting just fail... and then it goes through and he has no more problems (that he is aware of). He is going to leave his computer running over the weekend to see if it does it after running a while instead of just after a reboot.

I reset the modem (no router), and I reinstalled the software for DSL. I also updated the firmware for the modem. Still has the same problem.

So... if anyone who has actually read this (and actually has an inkling about it), throw some ideas and suggestions at me. Solutions would be better, but I am in no condition to be picky... :D

Once it does connect, is the speed what it should be?

Upon booting, does the computer get an IP address immediately? Just run ipconfig right after booting into Windows.

did u try unplugging all his other phones, faxes etc and then booting
(i say this coz my phone broke the other week an was still plugged in and for some reason i was only getting dl speeds of 30kb, as soon as i unplugged it, worked fine.)

Normal speeds from what I could tell.

I don't have his comp to run ipconfig on, but I may end up over there after work sometime this week.

Configure the PPPoE from Windows and remove the DSL software. See if that changes anything. Set it to Always dial a connection and it should dial up once booted. If not, throw a shortcut in the startup menu and it will connect.

Configure the PPPoE from Windows and remove the DSL software. See if that changes anything. Set it to Always dial a connection and it should dial up once booted. If not, throw a shortcut in the startup menu and it will connect.

Try that in layman's terms.

And am I to take it that he should go back to dial-up, or what?

Update: Talked to my friend... seems his comp/internet connection does this after it comes out of hibernation as well.

He said he unplugged his ethernet from his mobo and replugged it before he left his house... which I didn't even think about! He didn't have time to reboot and see if it helped.

I told him to reinstall his DSL modem using the USB cable, to rule out his NIC going bad. I still think it is his modem, or a problem on the phone company's end.

Open Internet Explorer properties and go to the connections tab. Click setup. Now the new connection Wizard will open. Click next.
Choose Connect to the internet - next.
Setup my connection manually - next

- Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password -next
- ISP NAME = whatever you want to call this connection

Next
Next

Enter the username and password and make it the default connection. Next

Add the shortcut to your desktop and finish. Once complete, take the shortcut on your desktop and move it to the startup menu so that it will dial at bootup.

Any questions let me know.

Figured out the problem Wed. night (3/29) through trial and error.

Turns out that it seems to have been ZoneAlarm Free. Once I disabled ZA, everything worked smooth. So I uninstalled it and put on ZoneAlarm Pro.

No more troubles.

But you didn't mention that he had a firewall running :p, anyways good to know you solved it and perhaps many can learn how to diagnose a computer properly from your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom