questions about wireless internet...please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraikristi

Beta member
I suppose I should start off by admitting that I really don't know a whole lot about how wireless internet works or how to go about choosing an isp. My problem is that I am going to the university of evansville in a month, and their entire campus is pretty much wireless. I recently bought a new toshiba laptop, which comes equipped with a wi-fi card. So, I want to have wireless internet on my laptop. My questions are:

1. Will any isp that offers wireless access be able to connect my laptop to the wireless network at my university, or are certain companies only able to provide access to certain wi-fi spots?

2. What isp(s) would you recommend?

3. Will I need to add anything to my laptop to be able to access the internet?

Well, from the sound of it, you will be fine with just your Wi-Fi card and the Wireless network that your campus provides.

Picture going into a Starbucks and sitting down. From your seat, you can access the internet (regardless of ISP) for a fee (or sometimes free). Now, imagine that Starbucks being your entire University. You, given a certain level of credentials (being a student) will simply be able to access the internet from wherever you are (especially your dorm).

You don't need to worry about your ISP or anything else. Make sure that you know what speed the wireless connectivity is so that you might buy a better card than your laptop comes with. Thats all that you need to worry about.

I just searched around a little about your university. I thought it sounded familiar :)

I sometimes contract out for jobs like the one in place at your school, which is basically enabling a wireless netowrk over a large area like a school, or even a small town.

I read about your school about a month ago somewhere. Perhaps in a paper or on the net. But it was about the wireless coverage.

Well, anyway, you'll be fine with your laptop and card. :)

No, their project includes wireless internet connectivity campus-wide. So you wont need an ISP. Being a student there, you will be able to access the internet by just having your laptop and wireless card only....nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom