Question on Wireless Connection Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsyGrandma

Solid State Member
I feel really stupid asking this question, but for the life of me I can't figure this one out.

I have DSL (with modem from phone company)
I use a Linksys Wireless G Router for my wireless connection to run several laptops & one desktop.

The company I work is telling me that my desktop computer can't be on wireless network/wireless router.

I'm assuming I need to go from the modem to a hub for the desktop and then connect that to my Linksys Broadband Router for the wireless laptops.
If I do that will my desktop computer be considered NOT on the network/router?
The company I work for uses the back door entrance or something like that and check my system, so this has to meet their standards.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
:) Gypsy

Unless the wireless device is an ACCESS POINT, it SHOULD have 4 wired ports on the back of it. The modem would be plugged into the WAN port. The PC that you want to be wired to the router needs to be plugged into one of the other available ports.

If you only have 1 PC that you are going to use as WIRED, I would just run 1 cable. If you have MULTIPLE devices in the same area, I would get an aditional router or switch, and connect that to the wireless router, then connect the WIRED devices to the new router / switch.

You also could check with the company you work for and see what program they use to "back door" into your computer. Then simply ask them what the port number is they connect to, and setup port forwarding in the router to go to your desktop. You may want to put your entire network on static ip's for this, because DHCP can cause issues with port forwarding, if your PCs ip's change often. You would also have to give them your ip address.

Also, unless I miss my mark, you're only actually connected to the wireless network if you're connecting through a wireless NIC. In other words, if you're wired directly into the wireless router, you're not really on the wireless network. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though. :)

In other words, if you're wired directly into the wireless router, you're not really on the wireless network. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Now that's what I was thinking.
If I'm only sharing the internet connection but NOT sharing folders, printers, etc.

I did as Ethereal_Dragon suggested and ran the cable to my desktop and then the wired port on the back of the router.
My laptops are still working on wireless.

I'm not sure if this will meet the requirements.

:) Gypsy

Odds are the requirement is in place to prevent someone from leaching off of your wireless network and getting access to your desktop.

Setting up some good security on the network ought to do the trick, as well as not sharing resources with the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom