PS2 online through USB modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, well, I have a friend that wants to hook his PS2 to online. His current set up looks something like this:

Code:
[wall jack]---Network cable---[Modem]---USB Cable---[Laptop]

Now, my question is, would he be able to hook up a router or a switch BEFORE the network cable gets to the modem, then branch off from the router or switch to his PS2? So it would look something like this:

Code:
[wall jack]---Network Cable---[Router or Switch]---Network cable---[Modem]---USB Cable---[Laptop]
                                           |
                                           |---Network Cable---[PS2]

I wasn't sure if it would work, since I haven't worked much with USB modems, so I figured I better ask. Thanks for any help, its appreciated.

Why dont you just do it the normal way. You are making things more complicated.

[walljack]---ethernet---[modem]---ethernet---[router/switch]---ethernet---[PC]

And then have another ethernet cable running to your router/switch from your ps2

Like I said, its not me, it's some one I know from over a forum. He lives over in the UK, also, so I'm not exactly sure what options they have over there compared to in the US.

The way you suggested is what I already would have told him to do, but he has a USB modem. So unless I tell him to go get a totally new modem (one that just hooks up via network cable), there isn't any other way to make it work, or is there another trick? Thanks again for the help.

It shouldn't matter how is modem connects, as long as he has a connection. Just tell him to run an ethernet wire from his PS2 to his router which is hooked up to his modem. His modem shouldnt have anything to do with connecting his PS2 to a LAN if he has a switch or router.

That's th ething, he DOESN'T have a router or a switch. I was wondering if he would be able to hook up a router or a switch BEFORE he hooks up the modem, as I said in my first post. Here's how I was wondering if it could be done:

Code:
[wall jack]---Network Cable---[Router or Switch]---Network cable---[Modem]---USB Cable---[Laptop]
                                           |
                                           |---Network Cable---[PS2]

Notice how the router or switch would be BEFORE the modem. I was wondering if he would be able to do this (would it read the connection correctly without going through the modem first, is basically what I was wondering). If I'm being unclear, please tell me, and I'll try to elaborate more. Thanks again.

Also note, he does NOT already have a router OR a switch. He just has the direct connection from wall to modem to PC. And the modem hooks up via USB, and the only Network port available on the modem is the one going to the wall.

First of all no, this would not work to have a router before the modem because the router won't know how to read the signals coming in. The point of a router is to take the method of your connection (ie Fiber Optics) and convert that into smething the computer can understad. The router then just routes the connection throughout the network.

What I don't understand is when he buys the router, why doesnt he just put it after the modem? It would make things a whole lot easier.

I didn't think that would work, but I wasn't sure.

And, as I had said before, he can't put the router after modem, because the modem is plugged into his PC via a USB cable, not a network cable. The network cable coming from his wall is plugged into a USB modem, and then the modem is plugged into his PC via a USB cable, going into his USB port. I haven't seen a router that can take a USB modem, unless you know of one.

Yup, I'm sure. I asked him several times, and he kept telling me there was only one ethernet port on the router, and it was being used already (he said it had the cable from the wall going into it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom