Problems with "Internet connection sharing" Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryparsnip

Beta member
Hey there all,
I was hoping somebody could help me find a solution to a problem i have encountered.

Yesterday I set up internet connection sharing through my computer to my girlfriends computer, this went smooth and soon we both had internet. This

morning I started up the computers , mine which has internet, connected to it through a 3G usb stick, still has internet, while GFs

doesnt now. So I set about doing it all over again thinking something must be a miss. The last attempt before i gave up went as follows

How I went about this.

Restarted My Computer which has the internet.
Opened up network sharing center *NSC*
Clicked managed network connections
Deleted the connection to the internet,
Opened up internet connection, this promted me to to verify which type of connection this was to be, I selected *home*.
New connection now appears in network connections window.
Right click, select properties on new connection to the internet.
click sharing tab
Checked, allow other users to connect through this connection, box.
Selected wireless connection from drop down menu.
Clicked settings checked FTP server, Secure Web Server, Web server, clicked ok.
Reconnected for the changes to take effect. Connection is now shared.
Checked i can connect to the internet.
Returned to NSC and clicked set up connection or network
Clicked Set up wireless ad hoc, clicked next twice.
Named my network and gave it a password on WPA2-personal
All other settings have not changed, ie, Ip still set to obtain automatically
Currently connected to the internet and waiting for users to connect to the HOC connection

Girlfriends Vista
Connected to new wireless HOC

My Vista
Selected *Home* from the network window which popped up.

GF VIsta
Selected *Home* from the network window which popped up
Checked I can access my files, share etc.

My Vista
Checked I can access my GF files, share etc.

Now shouldnt i be able to connect to the internet through either computer?

On my computer I can but my GF still no, though we can both still share files.

One thing of note, after connection to the HOC we can both see each others computer through NSC *view computers and devices*. Then after

10 mins or so 2 more icons pop up, internet gateway device and media devices, which i can right click, properties but from this point

nothing else can be changed, ie, no settings. This only shows details.
I have spent all day on this, reading forums restarting computers over and over so any help on how to get our connection shared again will be greatly appreciated. Im just confused how with the same steps I got this to work yesterday...I must have missed something.

We both use windows vista home premium. and just windows firewall on both.

Update on what is going on.

It seems to me that ICS is confusing to everyone and doesnt work as microsoft intended. There are many forums all laying out the exact same way on how to get connected to the internet through ICS, but when it comes to trouble shooting, sites and answers are few and far between. Even microsofts own website, or what ive manage to find on it, is very sparse when it comes to trouble shooting this problem. A patch was included in sevice pack 2 for vista and a seperate hot fix for those that havent installed the pack, but aside from this microsoft offers very few solutions to peoples problems concerning this area.

Since my first post on this matter I have encountered the same problems as others seem to be encounting,

ie,

Even though the computers are set up to ICS exactly the same way, when the direct connection is changed between the computers the problems differ. At the moment if my GF trys to connect through me she gets only UTORRENT working but no connection through firefox or internet explorer, and If i try connect through her I only get local access.
we are both fully upto date and removed any software that may be preventing us from connecting, though strangely when we had AVG firewall on, it did work correctly for a time so long as we set the control to home network on both computers through the AVG firewall settings.

Its seems this is a grey area, yes lots of people know how this should be done, jeez even I did it with just a google search and following steps through a badly explained site filling in the gaps because of bad translation. But when it comes to tackling ICS problems it seems the whole internet doesnt want to know, or doesnt know the answers. Have a search through any tech forum and you will see people having problems with this, thousands of views on the thread and not a singal reply. It seems the people viewing the threads are looking for answers also or just havent a clue on how to tackle the problem.

Hopefully, when I find a solution Ill write the report myself, even though Im no expert, something is better than nothing, which what seems to be out there at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom