Problems with 2003 NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, has anyone resolved their problems?

I've got a similar network setup with severe lag issues.

The server is running 3gb of RAM, and the network supports 30 users via 4 unmanaged D-link switches and 1 managed switch throughout the building. All are fed back to a netgear 48port switch.

Further analysis looks like the issues we are having are related to the CERC controller. It doesn't allow caching because there is no battery on the controller. The write is slow and when usage is heavy, the lockup comes on with full force. Dell was almost no help on this, they told us to "run task manager and see what is using the resources...." This coming from the Storage Group with 7x24 gold support. Then they said we could enable caching but doing so could result in serious data loss. They also said not other card is available that has battery backup on controller.

My client blew a gasket -- we did solve the issue though.... -- just finished specifying new HP hardware to replace the ALMOST NEW Dell NAS. We are going to use the NAS for Near-line backup, but not for production file serving.

Not a great solution for the budget weary, but we don't see any other option.

Oh, and before we got to the point of my last post, to follow-up, the adjustments to VM did nothing, we even added 2GB of RAM which didn't help either (total of 4GB)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom