Problem w/ Belkin router & home network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
I currently use a Belkin Pre-N router and network through it with my laptop and Pre-N card. When I was only using the internet, I left it unsecured. Then I decided to go WEP 128bit when I wanted to start a network between my two computers. This is when the problems began.

I followed instructions correctly, setup my router for WEP 128b and had it generate the hex-pairs (like 26 digits or so I believe?). Then all I thought I had to do was enter those in the encryption bar when I tried to log onto this network via my laptop. Well to start, everytime I would type in the complete set of hex pairs in the encryption key bar, then choose to save the key, it would always just act like it was going to connect and then nothing. No connected icons on the taskbar would appear, but it would always show the encrypted network available again right away, and start me off with some short encryption key already pre-entered (which of coarse wouldn't work).

I kept messing around and I made the mistake of choosing to make the router a Wifi access point. This changed the ip, and now I can't get the original back. So the (desktop) computer cannot communicate with the router now either.

I changed settings back through Belkin's site, yet still no IP renewal will work. I'm treating it like I'm installing the router for the first time once again.

So I can't figure out what the heck is going on, I just want everything back to normal and have an encrypted home network. By the way, does the 128bit encrypt slow the wireless connection speed at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom