Problem with Two Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyuokdea

Beta member
I have two routers set up at my house currently, the system is set up this way in order to get internet both downstairs, where the cable line that connects to the ISP comes in, and one for upstairs, where there is a router that is wireless and supplies to the patio, some upstairs rooms, etc.

The internet works fine over two routers, and I notice no slow-down operating on the networks, however, I cannot log in to my ISP's mail service from computers attached to the second router. I would also like to be able to share resources on computers between the two different routers. I had thought this could be easily accomplished by turning off the routing features on the upstairs wireless and using it only as a bridge, however, this causes my computers not to be able to connect at all. I know this setup worked before I got the wireless router when I instead only used a 4 port hub.

How can I set up this system so that my computers can all interact through the firewall?

As a note, currently computers connecting to the downstairs main router have IP Addresses Internally in the 192.168.123 range while computers on the upstairs wireless router have IP addresses in the 192.168.2 range, I don't know if changing this could help anything.

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

Ids suggest getting them all on the same subnet that should allow you to share resources as for the logging in to the mail server maybe itÂ’s a port forwarding problem???

Just so I understand this, You have Router A connected to your Cable/DSL modem , and Router B connected to Router A? If this is true, then from what I understand of routing, you have to create a route from one router to the other.
Given the above, Router B gets it's uplink info from the IP range of Router A. That being said, if you want to comunicate with CPU's on Router A from Router B you have to have a route that describes how traffic from B gets to A. Simply put, if you want to talk to the 192.168.123.0 address space You have to use the WAN port IP from router B as the gateway into Router A.
The Problem that I see you as having will be with non-IP "talk".
I don't think you will be able to resolve WINS traffic on this setup due to the limitation of cosumer Networking equipment and your lack of a server to perform the work.
Hope this helps...

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom