Problem with Dynamic IP & DUN with Windows 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrina Jones

Beta member
Hello,

I tried to help a friend of mine, who has a P3 with WIN98 SE installed on it. He contracted ADSL from Telefonica - Spain and received a USB modem, model Thompson SpeedTouch 330.

When installing everything went okay first but when it was time to finalize installation stopped arguing that there was no RAS available. I searched about it but no info about it in Windows' Help.

He had another modem from the same company so we uninstalled the first and tried afresh with this other USB modem. Drivers then got successfully installed and TCP IP protocol in the Networking etc. Then when trying to finalize this times the installer complains that it is impossible to go on because there is no DUN available (DialUp Networking). This is in fact not true because it is installed, I even uninstalled and reinstalled it in order to be sure it was working properly after that, but it did not help.

In fact while trying to connect even the IP number has been collected but there is no more transfer after this. It stops there.

Please could you help me with some advice, what should I do in this case? I don't want to end up with a tilted PC while trying to help my good friend.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Sabrina

PS: By the way my friend has got a WIN98 SE system installed in Finnish language and installation in spanish, but i don't think it may be any issue here?

Nobody answered..

Nobody answered this message..

Fortunately I managed to cure the old WIN 98 SE of its geriatric problems with a small patch named Q243199 that helped me to end with the installation. Becareful that if you try to reinstall WIN98 SE it will remove the file and you will have to reinstall it.

Then i also used a free program named Winsock Fix which reestablished the connection for us as although connection seemed to work, none of the software (IE, Outlook, Skype, etc) could connect. Now everything seems perfect.

If someone can explain better here why it worked for us.. Thanks

Sabrina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom