Problem with Belkin/Linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerunknown

In Runtime
I've got a linksys router, and a belkin USB adapter(?), and the Belkin thing reports that a signal is being received. ( lots of base-2 flowing to laptop) but no internet connection ( a big "X"). Someone (from gamefaqs) recommended that I configured the routers options by finding the IP address. I thought I saw it from the belkin software, cuz it wasn't in the manual of the router, and I tried accessing it from my laptop.

At this point, the laptops mouse stopped working, which is now fixed. I didn't find the IP of the router though. So I went here, and saw I could try finding it from cmd, but I got 172.216.101.168, which Firefox wouldn't connect to the server of. Can anyone recommend the way I could connect to the interweb?

Just make sure to reset the router, this should turn on the DHCP server by default. Then use one computer, wire it to the router. You should obtain an IP address automatically. It's best to configured the router with a computer wired to it first, because sometime the wireless function is disable.

Open up command prompt, type ipconfig /all and take note of the default gateway. Use that IP to get to the router configuration.

>>>Just make sure to reset the router, this should turn on the DHCP server by default.

Pressing the cisco systems button for 5-8 seconds? The manual advised against it, but alright.

Funily enough, on the Troubleshoot Wireless guide on my laptop, it said that there was an error when it tried to reset the IP >_>

>>>Then use one computer, wire it to the router.

Laptop or Desktop? I can never tell which to connect to router. I still have the set up disk in the desktop.

>>>You should obtain an IP address automatically. It's best to configured the router with a computer wired to it first, because sometime the wireless function is disable.

Okay =]. When I connect to the router with my desktop, my DSL modem just dcs for a while, but it can reconnect.

>>Open up command prompt, type ipconfig /all and take note of the default gateway. Use that IP to get to the router configuration.

Okay, I saw that in the previous post, and the IP and Gateway were the same. I put it into a browser, but it said server not found. =\.

As you can tell, I'm not very good with computers, but I hope to improve. I'll need quite detailed explainations, if you're up to it =P

Reminds me of those callcenter guys that get stupid customers, cept you're not getting paid to help me =p

Yes, you should reset it back to factory default.

What was the error message you got?

It doesn't matter what computer you plug, as long as the computer network card is working properly and TCP/IP properties is set to obtain an IP address automatically. http://www.more.net/technical/win/dhcp.html

You don't need the setup disk, this should be easier than using the setup disk.

I don't know why your DSL modem disconnect itself, but don't worry about that just yet.

Your IP address and default gateway on your computer should not be the same, follow the link to set the TCP/IP setting to automatically obtain the IP address.

Once you've done this correctly, open up command prompt, type ipconfig /all and you should receive an IP address automatically, the default gateway is the IP address you'll use to get into the router configuration.

Once you get into the configuration, go to the setup section and enter your DSL authentication method, and account & password for your DSL account. This you should know or find out from the ISP.

>>>Yes, you should reset it back to factory default.

Ooops, I did something else first. I pressed the Cisco systems button on the front, then realised "reset" was in the back. I pushed reset in with a pencil though =P

>>>What was the error message you got?

Well, I know the router is sending a signal, because Belkin says it's receiving it, and the router shows that it recognises a device. However, it shows no packets are being sent or received, despite there being a connection for a few hours now =P. Whenever I try to load firefox' homepage: Server not found. It looks like one of the devices won't let the other work or something, because they could if they really wanted to =P

>>>It doesn't matter what computer you plug, as long as the computer network card is working properly and TCP/IP properties is set to obtain an IP address automatically. http://www.more.net/technical/win/dhcp.html

Just checked, and it showed that was the default for both computers =)

>>>You don't need the setup disk, this should be easier than using the setup disk.

Yeah, the set up disk was silly >_<. Wouldn't recognise my Belkin Access Point thingy.

>>>I don't know why your DSL modem disconnect itself, but don't worry about that just yet.

Could be because it switches to my routers network instead of my DSL modem, stopping my laptop accessing it? I want to use both at the same time! =p... =\ I dunno though.

>>>Your IP address and default gateway on your computer should not be the same, follow the link to set the TCP/IP setting to automatically obtain the IP address.

Weird, it shows that they are though >_<

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/8073/fortechforumrx7.png

>>>Once you've done this correctly, open up command prompt, type ipconfig /all and you should receive an IP address automatically, the default gateway is the IP address you'll use to get into the router configuration.

Alright, I'll open up command prompt on my desktop, which the router is connected to, and type that there. Then I just put it into Firefox, to configure the modem?

>>>Once you get into the configuration, go to the setup section and enter your DSL authentication method, and account & password for your DSL account. This you should know or find out from the ISP.

Oh okay, thanks, I'll do that then.

I'm fairly sure I'm not using an encryption =\...

I can't tell. I found a different IP, but Firefox can't establish a connection to that server.

I'm meant to type the IP address into the address bar, to get to configuration, right?

I've gone through what you said as best I could, but it still doesn't work. Am I meant to put the IP in somewhere other than a web browser?

Yes, you have to enter the IP address of the router (default gateway) that you got from the DHCP server on the router. Enter that IP into a web browser like IE.

This is the only way home based router are configured, they are mostly web gui configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom