Is it possible to share software applications on a network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KShef

Baseband Member
I seem to remember seeing some servers with software that is used by clients on the network. Is this possible in a basic network setting without installing the application on each computer? Is there any software that emulates a host/terminal setting on a server/client or peer-to-peer network? If so, will this allow a peer or client to use software that is installed on another peer or server instead of on itself?

Sure, although it's not even close to the best solution for a small network because of it's heafty price tag, but Citrix works just like this. You basically have a Citrix Metaframe XP server that sits on a Win2k box. The server has all the apps installed on it and clients gain access through a RAS server or a web portal. It's pretty slick but very expensive. I've worked on a couple Citrix "farms" where we had 5-10 server's running an entire Office 2k suite that had to handle 100 users or so. Pretty wild stuff.
What were your specific application interests?

-Mike

I recently installed a fax program on my stationary PC but would like to run it from a notebook PC I have networked to it from the other side of my house downstairs. It's actually so we can send and receive faxes from either location without having to walk back and forth to either machine. My wife and I usually use one while the other uses the other.

Anyways, the notebook doesn't have as much RAM or hard drive space, so I was wondering if it could use software from the tower I have upstairs. There are also banking and office applications I would like to share if this makes any sense. I'm also interested in audio/video editing, but sharing those applications aren't necessary.

If my only options are expensive or inefficient, I guess I'll have to stick with what I have. What's a RAS server and a web portal, by the way?

to do what you want cheap i would look to see if remote desktop or pcAnywhere is a solution to your problem. they are remote control software that allow you to login to the other computer and control its keyboard and mouse functions.

remote desktop requires winXP pro on the machine to be controlled. pcAnywhere i have seen being sold for $12 for version 11, the latest one. i can help you setup pcAnywhere.

KShef said:
I recently installed a fax program on my stationary PC but would like to run it from a notebook PC I have networked to it from the other side of my house downstairs. It's actually so we can send and receive faxes from either location without having to walk back and forth to either machine. My wife and I usually use one while the other uses the other.

here at my work we use symantec winfax pro 10 for what you just described. It has its own built in networking capabilities though.

If your program has a fax printer option, a printer that acts like a fax machine, then you should be able to share the printer. Then you can add the printer to the client pc. This may cause problems if any user input is needed after you print to it.

Yeah! I have WinFax Pro 10 and I tried to do that before and it's obvious that I didn't know how to do it properly. I have it installed on my tower which I could use as a "server" to a notebook I have docked downstairs on the opposite side of my house. I would like to add a Mac to this network one day. Are there any settings I can change that will allow me to fax from all computers on my network having it installed on only one?

If I wanted to have a true server, would I need to buy a complete server console or could I load a particular server OS on my PC? Is there a server version of XP or will XP Pro act like a server OS using certain settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom