Is it possible question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorningGlory

Beta member
My landlord has internet access in a garage about 30 feet behind my house. Can I run a cable(crossover?) from his router into my house and connect it to a wireless router and not mess anything up on his end. He has a d-link router connected to 2 older PCs and his laptop. I want to connect around 2-3 older PCs(not at first but within a month) as well as have wireless for my laptop. Could this work?

Yeah you would just run a regular cat 5 cable from the router and plug it into the uplink on your wireless router. you will want to turn off dhcp on your router and use his as the dhcp server.

Ha, yes he knows I'm splitting the cost with him. Do you guys have any suggestions for running a cable outside? It will probably be from the top of his roof over to my attic. Obviously I will get shielded cable but should I also wrap the exposed cable with something to ensure that nothing will happen?

if you could run some electrical cunduit that would be ideal. you can run up to 100 meters or about 300 feet without needing a switch to increase the signal. I know his house is 30 feet away but by the time you run cable around it can become much longer.

hefemeister said:
if you could run some electrical cunduit that would be ideal. you can run up to 100 meters or about 300 feet without needing a switch to increase the signal. I know his house is 30 feet away but by the time you run cable around it can become much longer.

A Passive switch would not increase the signal, an Active one would.

Passive being unpowered and Active being Powered. A repeater will also strenthen the signal.

Your right it will definitly be more then 30 ft once everything is planned out. I figure a 50 ft cable would do the job perfectly. Do you guys think that it is worth the money to get a repeater? I believe it is a DSL connection, but I'm not possitive and will find out soon. Also is there a router that can do the 3 things I need it to: firewall, repeater, and wireless? Or will I have to buy seperate components. Thanks to all for the input.

You would be best off just doing wireless from his garage. That way you don't have to worry about running the cable, signal strength, etc. etc. etc..

A repeator operates at layer 1, just polishes up the signal, and sends it on it's way. A a router also does this, ANY router does this. As for wireless, there are lots of wireless routers on the market. Just make sure that the technologies match up.

802.11a
802.11b
802.11g

The 'b & g' standards work together in the 2.4 GHz range, but 'a' works at a different frequency, in the 5GHz range.

The cost of getting (2) wireless routers to eliminate the cable will roughly the same as the cable.... figuring that you would need the cost of the long cable, krimper & ends for the cable, material to protect the cable from the elements, plus the actual work of installing it. But hey, if you have the cable, ends, & krimper, go for it...

I was thinking about using wireless in the beginning but was a little worried about signal strength. Both the house and the garage are made of stone blocks and brick(old house). Ethereal_Dragon, are you saying I could replace his router with a wireless one and have it transmit to another wireless router in the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom