Is it possible to have two modems with same MAC

Llama sama

Beta member
Okay title is sort of misleading. Maybe? Anyways my question basically boils down to, if I have Modem A and Modem B, where Modem A is already hooked up to my ISP (Time Warner), can I make Modem B look like Modem A, so if Modem A is unplugged and not used, I can plug in Modem B and use it?

I know it's possible to have two activated Modems at the cost of a higher cost. But I'm wondering if it's possible to interchangeably use two modems. Once again I clarify that I won't be using them at the same time, simply when one is unplugged use a different one. I think I know that TWC verifies by MAC, like te HFC one or something and I'm wondering if I can copy it and make it look the same. Or by any other means make it possible to do the aforementioned. Super thanks if anyone can help me.
Time Warner Cable
Modem A: Arris TG1672
Modem B: Netgear CM400

TLDR: Want to be able to use two modems interchangeable but not at the same time.

Program them with the same IP info and the same DHCP block. Then if one craps, you can plug in the other and not miss a beat.
They can't stop you using different modems as crap outs do occur and people decide to go with another brand.

Last edited:
So you're asking about spoofing your modem's MAC address to your ISP? I'd say don't do that... if you need to switch modems, call your ISP with your new modem.

Why in the world would you need to switch back and forth between modems anyway?

TWC logs all info of the modem in use and locks it to your account. When you go on to your profile on their page it'll show all relevant info of your modem there down to the S#. You want to change, you gotta call them and swap.

Back
Top Bottom