Is this Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I've got another PC, wich av conected via Ethernet and Powerd up, their is no OS on the PC at all, but was curious as to what could be done with the two Internal Hard Drives in the Michine. I've got the PC connected to the Router in wich is connected to the Internet but my Main PC is a Win 7 Pro System.. Would it be Possible to use theese Hard Drives mabie as some sort of Network Storage, Via the Win 7 Pro Michine..

I was also Curious if any one could tell me how to Connect a XP Home System to Win 7, via the Router exacally.. Im pritty good at following Instructions but am Terible when haveing to discover this stuff on me own..

I've got another PC, wich av conected via Ethernet and Powerd up, their is no OS on the PC at all, but was curious as to what could be done with the two Internal Hard Drives in the Michine. I've got the PC connected to the Router in wich is connected to the Internet but my Main PC is a Win 7 Pro System.. Would it be Possible to use theese Hard Drives mabie as some sort of Network Storage, Via the Win 7 Pro Michine..

You can't do anything without an OS.

I was also Curious if any one could tell me how to Connect a XP Home System to Win 7, via the Router exacally.. Im pritty good at following Instructions but am Terible when haveing to discover this stuff on me own..

What do you mean by connect? Do you mean you want to access a shared drive on the 7 machine from the XP machine?
Are the machines on different LANs?

We need more details from you.

What do you mean by connect? Do you mean you want to access a shared drive on the 7 machine from the XP machine?
Are the machines on different LANs?

We need more details from you.

Yes, I want to be able to connect to the XP System to the Win 7 Michine, the Two Systems are on the Same LAN, I think as they are Connected via the Router in a Star Topology. Its a Shame about not haveing a OS, as am only familiar with Windows, and havent a Clue about the likes of Ubuntu.

Basically want to share files ect, threw the Router, but am not sure how to set it up. Such as the Permisions ect.

You can't do anything without an OS.

kmote, can you recomend an OS, to use on the Michine av got that a was wanting to use for File Storage.. The System is really Low Spek.. Been Given it by a mate..

AMD, Sempron 2800+
1 GB DDR Ram
Onbord Graphics + Sound
DVD\CR RW Combo Drive,
2x 20GB HDD,

No OS of any sort

and Various USB, Audio and Ethernet Ports.

Not sure n the Motherbord, but its only running a 400Wat PSU..

Yes, I want to be able to connect to the XP System to the Win 7 Michine, the Two Systems are on the Same LAN, I think as they are Connected via the Router in a Star Topology. Its a Shame about not haveing a OS, as am only familiar with Windows, and havent a Clue about the likes of Ubuntu.

Basically want to share files ect, threw the Router, but am not sure how to set it up. Such as the Permisions ect.

File sharing in Windows can be as easy as right clicking the folder you want to share, going to Properties on the context menu and clicking the Share button on the Sharing tab. It could be that the computers are on different workgroups or have auto-discovery turned off but hopefully just doing the above will make the shared folder accessible from the other machine just by going to Network.

kmote, can you recomend an OS, to use on the Michine av got that a was wanting to use for File Storage.. The System is really Low Spek.. Been Given it by a mate..

AMD, Sempron 2800+
1 GB DDR Ram
Onbord Graphics + Sound
DVD\CR RW Combo Drive,
2x 20GB HDD,

No OS of any sort

and Various USB, Audio and Ethernet Ports.

Not sure n the Motherbord, but its only running a 400Wat PSU..

For free you can get a BSD or Linux operating system or for a cost, you can get Windows operating system. Given the specifications and intended use, I can't see the point in spending a lot of money (or indeed, any money) on an operating system for it. If you really only want to use it for file storage then you could use FreeNAS but I can't really say too much about that because I've personally never used it. If I were you I'd just install Ubuntu desktop on it.

Av never seen anything like that Slaymate, excelent for Storage. In conjunction to the other Thread ill do the Upgrades to the Two systems, and network the Three Put an OS, probs Microsoft based on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom