Please Help!!!! I Can't Take It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicman

Beta member
I appear to be connected via a wireless signal but I cannot access the internet.

I had windows 2000 and everything was fine except that I had a kernel error that would automatically closed various websites I would visit. I got so frusterated that I upgraded to WinXP, now my computer runs dirt slow and whenever I play sound files they are distorted and my CPU usage jumps from 20 to 100% even when I am not doing anything. I don't think it is a virus or spyware because with Win2000 the computer was running fine (great even) and my only issue at the time was ntldr32 error that was generated when I would visit some websites which would, as I had mentioned, automatically shut down my internet browser (well the just the one if I had other browsers open and didn't go to websites that set it off then they would remain up)

In an attempt to clean-up / speed-up my computer I accidentally deleted the linksys instant wireless program I had running.
I have a linksys wireless USB adapter (WUSB11). I tried to reinstall it but I couldn't and got the impression that you couldn't use it within XP (even though I had been) so then was forced to use WZC and now I connect and constantly lose the ability to get online.

I do get on but never last for longer than 10 minutes and then I try to go to another page and get The page cannot be displayed msg even though when I look it shows that I am connected (with great signal).

PLEASE HELP I am being driven crazy. I have a laptop that connects just fine but because it has an internal wireless card the signal strength is always Very Low and as a result isn't very reliable (so I often lose the signal)

Thank you, I realize this covers a variety of issues (not all internet related) and it is a bit long, hope someone can help me figure out what the is going on.

What are the specs on your computer? Did you use an upgrade disk or a clean format and install? Correct drivers for all your hardware?

I have an AMD 1.31 GHz with 512 MB of RAM (SDRAM 133 FSB) My wireless adapter is a 2.4 GHz WUSB11 ver 2.6

I just did an upgrade, not a fresh install. I didn't want the hassel of having to reinstall everything and with my internet connection being unreliable I was afraid I might not be able to download all the drivers I would need which would leave me in a bigger quandry. If I hadn't done anything in the first palce I would have been fine (except for the ntldr32 error which was probably corrupted but because windows needs it to run I didn't know how to replace it with the one I downloaded)

Thanks for responding so quickly hope this helps and you have some magical advise for me. (bye the way, in the time it took to respond I lost my signal twice and am now attempting to reconnect--is there anyway to increase my strenght on this internal wireless card?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom