Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerman

Beta member
Hi, I have recently got NTL broadband, and currently my laptop is conencted directly to the set top box. I want to make a wireless network so that I can use the laptop withouit it being plugged in, and also connect another computer to the internet.

Both computers need to be in a seperate room to that which the set top box is in.

Can I buy a wireless router, plug this in to my set top box and then buy cards for the computers to let them use this?

I'm not sure this is making sense, but if it does, please please could someone recommend how i could do it and what i would need to buy to make it work.

I will try make it clearer again. The broadband comes through the set topbox. I want computers connected to the broadband, but in different rooms from the box and from eachother. And I want it wireless!

Please help,
claire

Yeah you can, but two things to keep in mind:

-wired goes faster (if it matters), in most cases
-some routers are a pain to change/configure settings wirelessly, though it should work, (but) if it doesn't, just direct connect the laptop or something!

...but yep, should definetly work--a friend does that!

thanks. have you any idea how i should go about it? what i should buy and then what i should do with it etc? i am a complete idiot when it comes to cvomputers!!

claire

Well, you need a wireless router and then a couple of network cards, for desktops probably PCI, for laptops, PCMCIA, or if you want to have it external you can buy a USB plug-and-play version (priced around the same, actually)...then after you've got them all installed, it should be pretty (hopefully....never say this with computers...oh well!) simple, just follow anything you need to do to setup the router.

so, buy:
-wireless router
-network cards that work with each computer

then:
install 'em!
maybe they'll work instantly? not likely...:)just follow the basic setup for the router, and you should be good-to-go.!

thanks, i will get them ordered right now, and come back here crying when i manage to not get it working :)

claire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom