Plc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Power-line communications. I'm sure many people have heard about it at this.

In my case, I have two floors between my wireless router and adaptor. This is a problem for gaming and internet connectivity in general, not to mention my usb ports on this old computer are 1.1, not 2.0, and it does in fact limit the signal strength and speed quite a bit. I'm wouldn't consider getting a USB 2.0 card because I've found none that are compatible with the front USB hub of my computer (it connects thru firewire and not usb like most USB pci cards nowadays.

I'm thinking of getting these wall-adaptors made by AsokaUSA, called a PlugLink 9650. Has anybody had any experience with PLC solutions? I'm going to be using it primarily for gaming and most importantly, will it work with a router?

here's a pic so you guys can get an idea of what it is:
PL9650-ETH-left-angle.jpg

there's two, you plug both in a wall-socket, with an ethernet cable, one you connect to your (router?) and the other you connect to your network card, offers 85 Mbps

Hm I wasn't aware that there were devices like this on the market yet. I'd read that BPL (broadband over power lines)was on its way, but I hadn't realised devices that utilised the technology were availible yet.

I'm fairly certain that it will be fine for gaming and use with a router.
In essense, all it's doing is turning your electrical circuit into an ethernet cable.

Looking at the manual for the thing, it does show that a router would work.
Geeze. I want a few of these things now.
http://www.asokausa.com/cms/asokausa/pdf/PL9650UG-110105ENU.pdf

i remember seeing products like this, its not too well known yet. However, I do remember belkin selling these types of adapters that let you use your home's electrical wiring for internet and that was atleast 4 years ago. So its been out on the market for years now just not well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom