Ping Jumping Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianm8000

Baseband Member
I start to play an online game, and my normal ping is about 25-50 and now i get ping spikes and it jumps up to 500+. What is going on?

I have wirless internet (linksys) not sure what the wireless router is, but my internet reciever things model # is WET11.

I have 3 computers hookedup right now. The computer downstairs is connected directly to the router while my computer and another computer(laptop) with a wirless card thing are upstairs.

Is there anything i can do to stop the ping from jumping? (weather its antenna extendor things, or software of somesort, or configuring the router i'm up for it)

This ping jumping is annoying please help.

Thanks,

Brian

you can try using another pc on your network to play the game. make sure all other computers are NOT trying to access the inet at the same time; best way to do this is to turn them off, heh or pull the network cable. This will let know know if the problem is isolated to your machine/installation or not. If you can play ok on another machine, id suggest reinstalling the game.

whats your pc specs? it could be the client app stalling and thereby slowing your connection to the server.

what do other ppl playing the game say? Does this game have a Knowledgebase/FAQ/Support webpage? Reading documentation about the game can give you tips and tricks.

you can goto www.dslreports.com you try to tweak your connection.

i know my computer downstairs plays the game fine, with no spikes. But i want the game upstairs to play it without any spikes, because it's my gaming machine.

And my pc specs are fine, my machine is made for gaming.

brianm8000 said:
I start to play an online game, and my normal ping is about 25-50 and now i get ping spikes and it jumps up to 500+. What is going on?
When I first read this, I wasn't quite sure if the upstairs PC was sometimes 25-50 with occasional spikes to 500? Or is the downstairs PC was alway 25-50 and the upstairs one always 500? It's the first choice based on the later posts.

All sorts of things can interfere with the wireless radio signal. 2.4 GHz wireless phones for example. (Not necessarily yours, but your next door neighbor's even.) Some appliances (microwaves? I don't remember which ones) can generate interference at that frequency. Is there any pattern to the spikes? Do they occur at a certain time of the day or at certain frequencies?

I have wirless internet (linksys) not sure what the wireless router is, but my internet reciever things model # is WET11.
The WET11 is the Linksys 11 Mbps wireless bridge, right? You probably have a BEFW11S4 wireless router if you got them at the same time. Have you tried moving the WAP and/or the Bridge to other locations in the rooms they are in? You might have something like a furnace or refrigerator in between that causes interfence when their motors kick in. (I had a refrigerator with a bad motor that caused all sorts of noise on my electric lines when it ran. You could see it on the TV when it was running. Played hell with my modem connections back in the day.)

This ping jumping is annoying please help.
Going from low-ping king to "fixed target" does tend to do that.

Wow. You can't get much closer than you are. A range extender won't help most likely, and I doubt the hi-gain antennas would either.

Since, it's intermittent and sounds random, I'm still thinking some sort of interference from something that turns on and off. It doesn't have to be something in your place either. If it's strong enough, it could be a ways away. If the bad pings were constant, I'd be looking for a constant interference soure and to make sure neither the router or bridge units are near large metal objects like computer cases and filing cabinets. Metal ductwork in the floors/ceilings can mess up radio signals too. That doesn't sound like your problem.

You might try powering down all the 2.4 GHz phones. Even when they aren't in use, they may still send some info around to try to locate what other units are in range and such.

You might also try putting the Linksys Router WAP on top of a stepladder to see if raising it toward the Wireless Bridge helps.

Do the ping times ever recover and go back to 25-50 ms or is it that once it goes bad, it stays bad?

Another experiment would be to move your bridge and gaming PC downstairs in the same room as the router. If the ping times still get bad, it may just be a flakey wireless router or bridge that needs updated firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom