ping eth0 using eth1 and a cross over cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttycat

Beta member
hi all,
Is there any way I can ping my eth0 interface using the eth1 interface?
(hope this is the correct place to post this)

I have two Ethernet interfaces:
eth0 : 192.168.10.1
eth1: 192.168.10.2

Is there anyway I can make a ping go from eth1 to eth0, prefereably externally using a crossover cable or similar cable (no hubs or other networking devices)

For a project I am working on, i need to be able to selectively read from eth0 or eth1 depending on some factors.

This is still in the beginning stages so at this point I need to be able to check whether I am reading properly from either of the two interfaces.

so basically i need to be able to say ping -Ieth1 102.168.10.1 so that the ping goes out thru eth1 and into eth0 thru the cable.

I am doing most of this development on my home pc where I do not have a LAN. At the project place has a network and multiple machines, so its not a problem to check there, but at home it is.

Any pointers anyone? should the two interfaces be on different subnet masks?

Thanks,
Nuttycat

They must be on the same subnet mask. You don't need to specify a default gateway or DNS. Use a cross over cable, it's pretty much basic stuff.

Are you doing this on linux? Most linux user always specify their network interface as eth0 or eth1, guess that's just how linux recognize it as.

Yes, this is a unix/linux box. Unfortunatly, I dont have a setup here. But what I have done in the past with a linux setup is a broadcast command from a particular interface. You can also use -I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom