PC Drops connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacLeod

Solid State Member
I have a client that uses an IBM Thikpad laptop in a docking station. The area she works in uses a VLAN connection. Windows 2000 Professional is her laptop's OS. In her area (cubicle) her PC will suddenly lose all network drives for no discernable reason. If we move the laptop and docking station anywhere else, it works fine. I thought it might be the VLAN being overloaded and dropping her connection, but two separate VLANs service her area, so overload is not a problem. The power setting on the NIC is set so the PC cannot shut it off. Any other PC using her cubicle (Laptop or desktop) seem to work fine as well. Any suggestions?

Even if the docking station put in a different cubicle works fine? The one she's using IS a known good. It just has its problem in that cubicle, and only that laptop. Just giving her another laptop is an option, but last resort I'd think.

Try to run it "out" of the docking station... When you see the drop of connection, ping her NIC card. See if its an internal HW issue.

its a hardware issue, from what ive dealt with in the past.
we have IBM docking stations and just last month i dealt with a similar kind of problem.
changing the docking station fixed the problem.

try and check, whether the IP address is not being timed out or if there is a conflict with that address on the VLAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom