Opening TCP Ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper01

Beta member
I contacted the support team for a game i have (Guild Wars) that works with internet and when asking why my game stayed at "ArenaNet Connecting 0%" i was told "Guild Wars requires that both TCP port 6112 and TCP port 80 are fully unrestricted and accessible inbound and out."

My question is how do i go about unrestricting and accessing these ports? really it confuses me and i know little about ports... which is why i came here. I tried using my PCI Adapters client manager but it doesn't have any options tabs to change settings and it only gives me the options to connect or reconnect.

To sum it up i need to figure out how to unrestrict access to TCP ports 6112 and 80 so that my online game will work. I am using a free WiFi connection in a hotel with a "BUFFALO Wireless-G 125 High Speed Desktop PCI Adapter
(WLI2-PCI-G54S)."

I would have put this under the PC games forum but since it is dealing with Ports i figured it would be smarter to put it in here. Thanks for the help and please let me know if you need more information.

The hotel is going to have to forward the ports on their router. Good luck getting them to do that

haha yeah.

basically a port is number given to a connection sent from one system to the other. the guild wars server is sending out connections on the 6112 and 80 port, meaning your computer has to be ready to accept the connections with those numbers.

one of the main features of a firewall is to block access to any port open port that doesn't have a purpose, to stop random people from the internet connecting on that port and potentially compromising the security of your computer.

thus, it is a firewall somewhere that is the cause of your problem, either one on your computer, or more likely, the firewall on the router in the hotel room.

im sure if there's a router there, there's also a nice tech guy who set it up, who you could ask nicely, explain your situation, and he'll happily unblock them.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom