One computer on network not connecting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get into advanced settings: Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click "Local Area Connection" > Click on Configure and these are the advanced properties.

To find your routers IP do the following:

1. Open CMD Prompt
2. Type ipconfig /all
3. Your "Default Gateway" will be your router's IP address (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1)
4. Type ping router ip -t EXAMPLE: ping 192.168.1.1 -t

For my office I would type: ping 10.10.1.1 -t this will keep pinging the IP address and not stop.

"ping 192.168.1.1 -t"

Is your router from your ISP? I am a premises technician for AT&T and while on a repair the customer was complaining of what seems to be a similar issue. Turned out, after checking some firewall settings on the router, it was denying access to the web... well not allowing DNS queries, odd because the computer still had access via IP address, like in your case being able to ping google on the west coast(8.8.8.8). I can't remember the specific setting, but check out the firewall settings and try disabling one setting at a time.

BTW, the firewall said it kicked in due to a virus accessing the net, or at least it thought it was a virus.

lasvegascomputer;

I did the ipconfig /release and flush dns but when I got to renew it wouldn't go through and the request timed out.

All other computers on the network are functioning fine.

I pinged the router and I got a response most of the time. About 7 out of 10 times.

I also tried a new ethernet cable.

I sat trying things that other people said worked when the had a problem for hours tonight and now it seems to be connecting but only at 10 Mbps. It takes a very long time for the connection to be established after startup and when it does the speed is only 10 Mbps. So webpages load, but slowly. I'm starting to think that this might be some kind of virus issue since Avast is being reported as turned off. I don't know why this would happen.

I'm starting to think that reinstalling the OS might be my only option even though I don't want to go through the hassle of doing it since I've spent so much time getting all of my programs and settings to where they are today.

Any ideas why the connection won't go above 10 Mbps and how to fix it?

trynreadme;

The router is not from my ISP but is a D-Link. I'm not really sure how to get into the router's firewall settings but would appreciate any advice if you think that it will fix the problem.

Thanks again!

Should probably re-phrase that, the modem that the D-link is connected to... A better question, what ISP do you use? AT&T, Comcast, Charter? Also, 10Mbps is pretty quick, you should be loading pages significantly faster. I have a 10Mbps profile with Charter and pages load within a second or two. Also, if Avast is shut off without your consent I would highly suggest you check out MalewareBytes @ Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download. There is a free trial that will give you a 100% usage, so worth at least using to clean your PC. I would first give malewarebytes a run at it.

Also, when posting hardware try to post as much information about the hardware as possible, like D-Link, what kind is it? N300, Ngigabit, etc.

Thanks trynreadme.

My ISP is Time Warner. I have roadrunner.

This whole thing is really strange. Some websites (Google being one) load pretty quick when others (like Facebook) either will not load or connect after almost a minute.

I also cannot download anything (files, programs, etc.) from websites. I tried to download malewarebytes but it took about 10 minutes to download about 10% of the files (about 10MB total). I downloaded malewarebytes on another computer on the same network in less than a minute and transfered it over to the problem computer via flash drive. I couldn't update malewarebytes virus definitions due to the problems but did a full scan with the downloaded version. It didn't find anything.

It's worth noting that this computer is the only one with a wired connection. I did try swapping around the port that the ethernet cable is plugged into in the router but that didn't help. I also checked the ethernet jack on the computer and all 8 pins appear to be in excellent condition.

I'm not home right now so I don't have the router model number but if you think that that would be helpful I will certainly get it.

Thanks again guys. I hope you have an idea of what is going on here.

Chances are we won't need the model number, considering your other computer is fine, but if desperation starts setting in we could research the model number a little further. Try to ping your ethernet port at 127.0.0.1. And see if there is as much of a loss as there was sending to your router or any type of lagging response, it's your ethernet port. FYI, you shouldn't have ANY dropped packets pinging your router.

Before trying to ping your ethernet port, go head to your manufacturers website and make sure you have the most up-to-date driver available for your system.

Thanks trynreadme.

I have the latest LAN driver and tried pinging 127.0.0.1. I got all four of the packets back. I then pinged the router and lost one packet.

I'm not gonna lie I'm starting to get kind of desperate here. Do you think reinstalling the OS will fix the issue? Like I said I don't really want to go through the hassle of that but I'm starting to think that my options are limited.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

I completely understand not wanting to reinstall Windows and realistically you shouldn't have to with an issue like this. The other computer that you spoke of earlier that you downloaded malewarebytes with, how was that computer connected to the internet? What I want to do is separate the router from the computer to better isolate the issue. It seems that your computer is good... maybe... With that other computer plug it in to the router with the same cable and into the same port on the router and see if the same issue arises.

If it doesn't work, the issue is in your router and I would suggest you check out the manufacturers website and see if there is an update, or go to your routers GUI, should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, best bet is to run "ipconfig" in the "cmd" prompt on your computer and your "Default Gateway" is your routers GUI address, just punch that into your browser

If the second computer does work properly plugged into the router using the same cable and port the issue is with your computer. I know you said that you had the most up-to-date driver for the LAN, but sometimes there are intermittent issues that could be driver issues. So I would suggest from here to uninstall your driver and and reinstall it.

If that doesn't work let me know the exact type of router you have and I can check out some possible settings that could be causing this issue, like some kind of MAC filtering that would effect that specific computer.

Let me know, reinstalling an OS should be last resort. Trying to maintain all your data, settings, and reinstalling programs can be time consuming and painful.

It's working!!!

I can't believe I completely overlooked this. My house is wired with cat 5e jacks in each room. I swapped out the cable but didn't try the jack. Luckily I had an extra and when I swapped it out it worked!

I guess it all boiled down to something simple that should have been one of the first things that I checked. Well at least I know now if it ever happens again.

I want to thank both lasvegascomputer and trynreadme for their help. You guys were great in trying to help me solve this problem. Thanks again!

It's good to be back!

No problem, I had visualized the router on your desk somewhere. Not many people have Cat5 jacks throughout their house. Good to hear it's all working!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom