old dinosaur needs network config help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef919

Beta member
I'm in the process of building my first Windows 2k machine. My other machines run Win98SE. I had some problems upgrading from Win98SE to Win 2K, so on advice I started over with a new HDD. So far, all is well, but I have a networking problem.
The Win 2K machine doesn't see the Win98 machine in network neighborhood. However, I can ping the Win98 machine. The Win98 machine can see the Win 2k, but when I try to access the Win 2k machine I get a prompt for a password. The two machines are connected over Ethernet through a router, which handles the Internet access for both machines. I am the only user on the Win 2k machine, and logon is automatic. I am a member of the administrator group. Both machines belong to the same workgroup. I am running Norton Internet Security on both machines. The local group (192.168.0.0) is trusted by both machines. BTW, when I have two Win98 machines connected, both can see and access the other. I'm sure this is a Win 2k configuration issue, but I don't know much about the O/S. Appreciate your assistance with getting me straight.

It sounds as though you are setup in a workgroup currently. This means the authentication data is decenrtalised, stored on both machines seperately. The fact you are getting a logon prompt when trying to connect to the win2k machine is good - you just need to provide info for an account on the win2k machine.

So when you get the prompt, enter the info you use to logon to the win2k machine. So you logon auto to the win2k machine - easy to forget you details then.

If need be you can reset the password for the account you logon to the win2k machine with through computer managment. To do this:

1. Right-click on My Computer, Select Manage
3. Expand Local Users and Groups, Expand Users
4. Choose the appropriate user account, right click, set password
5. Enter in new password

Now when you are prompted for the user name and password when connecting to win2k, put in the info you've put here.

If windows gives you some bumph when you do enter the info but doesnt prompt you for user creds again just refresh the window (F5).

Hope this helps. Post any errors or problems.

Thanks, Urf. Last night I read on the Internet that people that had this problem installed NETBEUI. So I did that and now I can see and access files on the Win98 machine from the Win 2k machine. However, when I try to access the Win 2k machine from the Win98 machine, I now get a popup window that states the the Win 2k machine is not accessible, no permissions to access. I also made a change on the Win 2k where I have to logon. So, I logon the Win 2k machine with the same logon I use on the Win98 machine. I don't actually logon to the Win98 machine, there is a window for logon to Microsoft Networking. Is there someplace where I can add a remote user to Win 2k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom