Office Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshyouah

Baseband Member
Hopefully i have the right forum for this.
I work for a company with 3 employees, each of which work from home. when work with a certain program is completed, we need to have a quick way to transfer the data files between computers so that we dont have to drive them to each others house as it is a 40+ minute drive between them. I have tried PcAnywhere, but can only get 5k/sec. With a 100 MB file this is too slow.
One computer is connected through DirecPc which is satellite internet since cable does not reach out to where they are located. with this provider, you do not have an IP address assigned, and this is the main computer (My boss's Office). We need some method to transfer the files in 30 minutes or less atleast. anyone have an idea?

thanks

Well, if you can only upload at 5k/s theres nothing you can do about that. Mabye contact your ISP and ask to pay more for more upload bandwidth.

5k upload

all computers have higher than 5k upload,
dual-way internet - above 500k, not sure exactly
cable - around 500k upload
dsl - not sure, but this third computer wont be used until january dsl uploads faster than 5k though i know

joshyouah said:
One computer is connected through DirecPc which is satellite internet since cable does not reach out to where they are located. with this provider, you do not have an IP address assigned, and this is the main computer.

a computer that does not have an ip address is not connected to the internet.

because of what you say, im a little skeptical of the upload speeds you stated. Around my way, normal residential upload speeds are 128k for dsl 256k for cable.

Anyways, why are you uploading through pca? Create a ftp site that all these ppl can upload to, prolly a lot less overhead here.

Couldn't you all just use a program like MSN messanger? You can send files with this but I don't know how large of a file.

Josh

you would still need someone to accept the transfer.

If this person made an ftp site, no user interaction on the host side is needed for the users to upload the file.

ftp

do you know where i could info on ftps? difficulty? cost? i have an extra computer that i could use to run it. are there programs that simplify it? is it a service? ive never made pages or tried any of this. thanks for the help.

that yousendit.com might actually work, id have to check on it more, but since its all medical information that were sending im not positive that its legal. i dont see why not, but theres so many damn laws with it now that you have check everything. if an ftp is not possible than that site will be great, thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom