Nothing seems to work...internet

LeonMerric

Beta member
I've scanned around this forum for similar problems, but either I'm really blind, or nothing has seemed to work.

I share internet with my neighbor (he has the router). My internet will work just fine for a while (an hour or so) and then it'll freeze up, all new windows will time out and never connect, things stop loading, etc. No other browsers work either. I'll restart my computer and it'll work again, just again just for a while and then I'll hafta repeat.

Problem being, it is ONLY my computer. My neighbors internet is fine and my wife's computer's internet works without flaws, so I has to be something wrong with my computer.

Next time it happens fire up command prompt (Google it if you're not sure how, it's super easy).

Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter
Then type ipconfig /release
Once it's done, type ipconfig /renew

Once thats all completed, restart your internet browser. If it gives an error message on any of those steps, report it back here. Also take a screenshot after you have entered the command ipconfig /all to show us your internet settings.

This is what the first step looks like.
in7E

I appreciate i've not really been very clear. I'm hoping you are somewhat IT literate. If you have any issue, no problem just let me know and i'll write things out a bit clearer :)

I think I got everything. Here's the output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Justin>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Users\Justin>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1993:79e8:fffb:76d6%13
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:3c33:2b8a:bc59:9007
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c33:2b8a:bc59:9007%14
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.ut.comcast.net.:

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

C:\Users\Justin>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ut.comcast.net.
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1993:79e8:fffb:76d6%13

it could be something as simple as your wireless adapter turning off and going into power save mode, or something like that
Does this issue happen if you have the power adapter plugged into the computer (assuming you are using a laptop)

have you tried disconnecting the wireless connection and reconnecting.

When it stops working does a ping test fail

go to the command prompt again and type
ipconfig /all
note the default gateway address and then type
ping (followed by the default gateway address)
eg. ping 192.168.0.1

if this works then try typing
ping www. google .com

The ping test fails
Disconnecting and reconnecting doesnt work
And again its only my computer, my wife's has uses the same router and hers works just fine

Can you paste output from ipconfig/showall & netstat -an for when the Internet works and for when disconnected?

If this is a home network running and the router/wi-fi is IPv4 capable, try turning off IPv6 and turning on IPv4. make sure to ensure DHCP is set or you could take one of the last IP addresses in the scope to ensure someone isn't hard coding an IP address and bumping you.

while you are working, go to the command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

look at the IP address: for instance 172.16.32.4 (preferred)

if that is the output, then it shows DHCP has given you an address and it is MAC reserved for the time of your DHCP lease. you will be the only one getting it unless you are off line for many days (90 i think). someone can still hard code to that IP and you will have issues.

so, changed the IP to static and configure all the info the saem except change the IP:

172.16.32.4 --> change to 172.16.32.245

the first 3 octets should be the same as the display on your screen and notthis example.

this will ensure you are on the same network being serverd but put you outside the realm of most people adding systems to the network.

your wife's computer just may have an IP that is not affected. probably the neighbor has a system that is used every now and again that is hard coded, so when they turn it on, it works. it boots you off though.

Good luck,

tagline182

Back
Top Bottom