[Noob] Networking with internet problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshine

Beta member
im a noob at networking and i need some help. i have plugged the switch in to my computer using a CAT5 E network cable and have plugged the other computer into it the same way. I can access files on my other comp's hard drive and map drives successfully. Now i have plugged my ADSL Modem/Router into the modem also using a CAT5 E cable and the other end into the router's ethernet port. And i now cannot get any internet access (on dial up at the moment.) All of the lights on the router are lit up as they should be and the port which it is plugged into on the switch is lit.
I need to know what to do now, change to using Crossover cable for the router? plug the router into the UP-Link Port? Change some settings on my network or workgroup?:confused: :confused:

PS: both the router and switch are 10/100 mbps.

what type of switch are you using? you probly need to do a little configuration in the switch.

Your DSL modem only gives out 1 IP address most likely so a switch will only allow 1 computer to get on the internet. You will either have to contact your isp for a second IP address or get a router to put between the DSL modem and the swith or computers. If you only have 2 PC's you won't need the switch just connect them both to the router.

Wait, so you are plugging a 56k modem into an ADSL modem/router??? This will not work, unless you are using a router specifically designed to work with a dialup modem, or a modem that has an ethernet jack...

What are the model numbers of the equipment you are using?

no, i am plugging my ADSL Modem/Router into the switch, the switch is 10/100mbps, so is the router/modem. I have a static ip set on my computer as 10.0.0.2 and my other computer is 10.0.0.3, the other computer currently has no operating system because i just formatted it because i bought a new motherboard. But i need to know how to get the internet working on this computer. its not just the internet i wish to share, i wish to share files also.

thank you for your help so far :)

PS. The router/modem is a D-Link DSL 502T, and the switch is an ST LA auto MDI/MDIX 5 port 10/100mbps n-way switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom