Newwork hookup and transfer rate winds down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphyrna

Beta member
Question on transfer rate -

when downloading a program - the last being a 30 meg patch for a game, the transfer rate starts at around 5000 then as the program is downloading the transfer rate falls throughout the transfer ending at around 1000. Any reason for this?

I have cable internet access. The computer is hooked up to a wireless router, which is then hooked up to the cable modem (for some reason the computer does not see the internet through the cable modem directly - only if I go through the wireless modem (?) )

Sphyrna said:
Question on transfer rate -

when downloading a program - the last being a 30 meg patch for a game, the transfer rate starts at around 5000 then as the program is downloading the transfer rate falls throughout the transfer ending at around 1000. Any reason for this?

You're using Firefox to download? 5000KBps isn't your download speed I believe, just like mines it will start at 2500KBps and fall down to 500KBps which is my stable connection speed, that's because there's more bandwidth than you think but you're cap since the bandwidth has to be share among other subscriber on a cable Internet. Firefox does boost your download speed.

I have cable internet access. The computer is hooked up to a wireless router, which is then hooked up to the cable modem (for some reason the computer does not see the internet through the cable modem directly - only if I go through the wireless modem (?) )

I have no idea what you meant by that.

Thanks for the info on the first part. I do use Mozilla/Firefox.

The second part - my internet access is through Time Warner cable.
The hookup -
cable plugged into the cable modem.
Cable modem plugged into a wireless router
wireless router plugged into my computer's networking card.

I'd rather have a direct connection between my computer and the cable modem, but when I hook up the computer directly to the cable modem, I loose internet access (open up Firefox and get the message, "unable to find page...")
When I hook up the computer to the wireless router, and then hook up the wireless router to the cable modem I do get internet access.

It's as if the computer is not 'reading' or 'seeing' the cable modem properly.
Does that make any sense?

Sphyrna said:
Thanks for the info on the first part. I do use Mozilla/Firefox.

The second part - my internet access is through Time Warner cable.
The hookup -
cable plugged into the cable modem.
Cable modem plugged into a wireless router
wireless router plugged into my computer's networking card.

I'd rather have a direct connection between my computer and the cable modem, but when I hook up the computer directly to the cable modem, I loose internet access (open up Firefox and get the message, "unable to find page...")
When I hook up the computer to the wireless router, and then hook up the wireless router to the cable modem I do get internet access.

It's as if the computer is not 'reading' or 'seeing' the cable modem properly.
Does that make any sense?

Yea very much. First I would assume that you're TCP/IP setting isn't set to obtain an IP address automatically which you need it to since it'll be a dynamic address being handle from the ISP DHCP server.

*How to set DHCP*
http://www.more.net/technical/win/dhcp.html

Second, related to first part, that you're not getting any IP or DNS. You should check in command prompt by typing ipconfig /all

Third, related to the second, they may have the router's WAN MAC address recorded, this requires you to unplug the cable modem to clear that old entry so you can plug in your computer.

Not sure about cable internet, but I know with SBC DSL, if your PC is driectly connected to the modem, you will need a software tool on the PC where you put your account username/password and it will connect you to the internet... I can only imagine that cable would have a similar setup, but it could be just that they use MAC addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom