Newbie needs network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

oqmattypo

Beta member
I have set up a 2 computer home network. Both computers are connected to my Linksys switch, the switch is connected to the cable modem. I know I should have a router but this can still work, problem is, I cant get it to work. It will only allow one computer to be on the internet at a time, and when the one computer that is working on the internet is showing the modem as its IP address starting with 66.***.XX.XX. When one computer shows that IP the other shows 162.***.XX.XX and that is an IP ***igned by windows which is also wrong. I'm new to the networking stuff, can someone tell me step by step what I need to do to set this up. One is 98, the other is XP.

You need a router. I don't know where you received information on how this would work with just a switch but it will not work. A switch will not use IP addresses in order to propigate traffic. It only uses a MAC address. The router uses the IP address and then carries a table that maps the MAC address with an IP address. You need a router to properly share this connection...otherwise only one PC will work at a time.

-Mike

the best way is get a router like mike says. the only way to get the switch to share your internet connection is by using (ICS) Internet Connection Sharing. one computer must remain turned on and serves the internet connection to all other machines.

the basic setup is plug modem to server through 1 network card. a second network card from server to switch's uplink or WAN port. and finally connect all other computers to the rest of the ports on the switch which will access internet from server. for more help on ICS please use windows help and support by clicking start button> help and support and search for ICS.

also you can use software like sygate home network, basically ICS software on steroids. it is very simple to setup and use. it's main attraction is that you can aggregate (combine) multiple internet connections into 1 fat line. you could combine 56K, DSL, ISDN, frame relay, ect into 1 line, not really useful though.

moneywise and for the added protection and features, i would eschew ICS and buy a router instead, much wiser decision

Sygate® Home Network 3 User License (With 1-Year Upgrade Protection) $47.95

info:
http://smb.sygate.com/support/documents/shn/default.htm

buy:
http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

Yea, absolutlely.....I never really think of ICS anymore cause it never really worked better than a router for me....but yea, it's around the same amount of money as the router solution but like he said....you'll have to have the "server" on all the time for the client to access the net.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom