Newbie ADSL network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
Greetings, I'm kind of new to networking so forgive me if I ask some really newbie questions. Yes, I did do a search first, but couldn't find anything. I guess this is too simple of an issue....

Basically, I have two computers in the house would like to link them together.

1. I have an ADSL signal coming in into one comp, I went out and bought a router yesterday and linked up the second comp.

2. Problem is, I can't get two computers to have internet access at the same time. If I dial and connect with one comp, the other comp won't be able to dial and connect. The converse is also true.

3. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly since both comps can receive the ADSL signal through the router, but just not at the same time. I have to log off the connection on one computer, if I want to connect with the other.

4. I tried to play around with network settings on one of the comps, I checked the network neighborhood and noticed at it does indeed have a local area network connection. This connection also appears on the lower right corner of the screen. However, this comp still can not access the internet. The same is true for the other comp. I'm still stuck at the problem - only one comp can access the net.

If anyone has any suggestions or can shed some light on my problem it would be appreciated. I'm sure it's a rather simple problem, I just can't figure it out since I've never really had any experience hooking two comps together. Thanks in advance for help.

Make sure you buy an ADSL router, it's suppose dial in for both the computers. You'll have to configured it to (account, password, authenication protocol type, phone number).

Ok,

I followed some simple instructions that came with the router and linked the two computers together.
I configured the ADSL account, password, authentication protocol type etc.... and have successfully configured the router to dial up the ADSL signal for both of the comps - A and B.

1. Everything seems to be operating normally until I noticed that one of the comps, computer A, can not access web pages or instant messenger services such as MSN. But other programs that require internet connection ironically can operate fine. Such as games, live updates etc....

2. The other comp, computer B, is operating just fine.

I think I'm close, just need some help on fixing computer A's internet access problem. If anyone has a clue what the problem is please give some advice. Thanks.

wongb18c said:
Ok,

I followed some simple instructions that came with the router and linked the two computers together.
I configured the ADSL account, password, authentication protocol type etc.... and have successfully configured the router to dial up the ADSL signal for both of the comps - A and B.

1. Everything seems to be operating normally until I noticed that one of the comps, computer A, can not access web pages or instant messenger services such as MSN. But other programs that require internet connection ironically can operate fine. Such as games, live updates etc....

2. The other comp, computer B, is operating just fine.

I think I'm close, just need some help on fixing computer A's internet access problem. If anyone has a clue what the problem is please give some advice. Thanks.

On computer A, can you open up command prompt and ping www.google.com or ping www.yahoo.com?

I've solved the problem. It was more luck than anything else because to tell the truth I didn't know what I was doing, just trying all the possibilities, and happend to do the right thing.

Anyways.... the problem was that I had to manually enter..... I think what's called a DNS address into the local area network connection on computer A. After doing that, to my surprise the problem was solved.

wongb18c said:
I've solved the problem. It was more luck than anything else because to tell the truth I didn't know what I was doing, just trying all the possibilities, and happend to do the right thing.

Anyways.... the problem was that I had to manually enter..... I think what's called a DNS address into the local area network connection on computer A. After doing that, to my surprise the problem was solved.

Yes, that's what I thought also, because if games can go online and not web browsing, it's usually because DNS wasn't there.

Yea, thanks for your help Law. Although I happened to solve the problem, it still makes me feel better that someone is willing to help a newbie by replying to my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom