networking using a crossover cable and 2 desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadrick54

Solid State Member
Ok, I'm trying to network two desktops together using a crossover cable. I'm kind of new to networking so I might just sound like a complete idiot. I have connected both of them the lights are on on both of them, I have set the ip addresses to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, and I have ran the network set up wizard on both. For some reason I can not get the two computers to ping one another. Now to do this I'm going to run command and typing "ping 192.168.0.1" or the other which ever case it is. Am I doing something wrong here or do you think that it is a system error.

Are you connected to the internet at all? Are you using a router if it is high speed internet? At the very least you should be able to ping them. There on the same subnet and default gateway and such right? How is the cross over connected? Straight from one desktop NIC to the other desktop NIC?

I am connected to the internet through a dial up modem. I'm not using a router I just connected the two computers straight to one another, and I'm positive its a crossover cable because my dad's an electrician and I had him test it for me. So like you said I should at least be able to ping the two. They are on the same subnet but I didn't think I would need a default gateway since its a straight connection through crossover maybe thats the problem. What would be a proper default gateway number to use?

nope, dont need a default gateway. it's useless. just the ip and same subnet mask should be fine. you running any software firewalls like norton or zonealarm? this will not allow the computer to reply to ping requests.

Yeah I am running norton. That never even crossed my mind. I'll see if that works. If not then hopefully somebody else has an idea because this is driving me insane.

What O/S are you using?

I used to have the exact same setup with Windows 98. If that's what you're using, try installing Internet Connection Sharing. Then go to your network properties and install file and print sharing.

You shouldn't really need to screw around with DNS/IP addresses/anything like that.

Okay, here's a few things to check:

1. When you plug in the cross-over cable, do you get link lights on both network cards?

2. Look at the order of the wires on both connectors of the cross-over cable and note the order. Then google for what a proper crossover should be and make sure the pins match up. (I think it's 1&4 to 5&6 and vice versa, but I can't remember for sure).

3. do you have any other network devices in these computers that could be interfering? When you assign the IP addresses, try pinging each one from itself (from 192.168.0.1 try pinging 192.168.0.1). This will tell you if it is configured correctly.

1. Yes the lights are on.
2. Yes its the right cable, I've even had it tested by an electrician.
3. I do have a wireless network card installed on one that came with it. The two do ping themselves though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom