Networking Two Computers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
Hey Guys

Now i have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows XP and it has a network card. I also have a Desktop running Windows XP, that also has a network card.

I also have a network cross-over cable....(i think thats what it is called)

But for some reason the two computers cant reconginse each other. Although my desktop relises when i plug in the cable and when i pull it out, as it displays messages.

How can i get them to reconise each other

Thanks in advance for your help

(soz about the spelling)

thanks southernlady. ive emailed him for sum help. also i read his website, it was quite helpful

ok i have decided to go wireless...am i right in thinking that you can have an ASDL router thing like in another room.......it dosent have to be connected by wires to a computer. but can be done wireless......??

Are you running XP home or Pro?

Also, do you have software firewalls running on these 2 computers?

If you are going wireless,..this is great news. Make sure you buy a wireless router, not just an access point. This will allow you to have multiple computers on your network.

As far as the firewall issue goes, you will be much safer and better off with a hardware firewall that will be enabled in your router when you hook it up.

The most important thing I cannot stress enough is to make sure you set the WEP encryption on that router. Too many people leave their Wireless open for anyone to get on; not a good thing.

When you get a wireless router, you will plug your DSL Modem into the router, and it will then be able to broadcast the wireless signal and also provide wired networking to your other PCs. DSL requires different settings sometimes during router set up than a cable modem; though all routers I have used always come with good instructions and a setup CD to guide you along. You should be fine.

After you get your network set up, I would think you will be able to get your two computers to see each other then.

Take the time to learn and understand this stuff, it is worth knowing. :)

Good luck!

The most important thing I cannot stress enough is to make sure you set the WEP encryption on that router. Too many people leave their Wireless open for anyone to get on; not a good thing.

Well said and VERY TRUE!!!! Liz

Also another way to secure your wireless is make sure you do not broadcast your ssid. This will keep the idiots out. I also use MAC filtering over WEP cause I find wep slows things down a bit. Its a little more of a pain to get friends on with mac filtering but worth the hassel for a little more speed. Either way you definately need some type of protection for your wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom