Networking Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I did IPCONFIG /all on the main computer and I've attached the results.

Local Area Connection 4 is the sharing of files
Local Area Connection is the router

I can no longer ping the main computer from the other computer...

Attachments

• ipconfig.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 34
Mr. Tech... OK, looking at your ipconfig post I have to assume that the main computer is hosting files AND internet. It has two adapters correct? One connected to the router and one to the HUB? Both are on different IP schemes. That main computer has to be running some type of NAT or ICS. If not then why does the main have 2 adapters????? Please explain your layout so I can help troubleshoot. are all computers going to the hub and the hub to the router or all computers to the hub and the main is connected alone to the router on that other adapter????

Also, I still do not see any DNS suffix in the config. I don't believe your router is talking to the internet at this time.

BTW, I'm east coast and its late. Ill check back with ya in the morning.

:)

OK bud, sleep well.

Here's the set up:

The main computer has two network ports.

One network port connects to the router and the second one connects to the hub. This set up has worked fine fore months and months until today. The other computers connect into the hub which connects them to the main computer...

I managed to get rid of the limited connectivity from the other computer... I had Internet Sharing turned off. That's all good now so I'm back where I started... It's sharing the Internet but not the files & folders...

Here is a new IPCONFIG /ALL if that helps. I've renamed the two local area connections to Internet (connects to router) and Shared (connects to hub) so I don't have to think as much.

ipconfig3ao.gif

I used to think an option would appear saying "Would you like to share your files and folders" in the Advanced tab of the Local Area Connection properties... Here's a screeny... Perhaps that will help:

advanced1yr.gif

Alright, looks like we are half way there then.
OK, there is no option in the advance tab that asks you about sharing. You will find that when you right click a folder and select 'Sharing and Security'. Which I have to say,....... Make sure you have at least 1 folder on each computer shared!!!!! If you donÂ’t you'll get an error when you click on the workgroup name.
Now that we figured out that the main computer is running Internet Sharing and it's working, the next thing is getting the folders shared again. All you may have to do is run the network wizard again.
Lastly. It's not my network nor do I know the physical layout but If it is anyway possible, I would NOT run ICS on the main computer. It would be more feasible to plug that router into the HUB and not the main computer, turn off ICS and let the router handle all 4 computers. This way the Main does not have to be on for the others to work, you'll save network resources and the surfing on the other 3 will be just a tad bit quicker. Also, some people confuse a HUB with a dumb switch. Make sure that you do not have an actual HUB. If you do, please replace it with a $20.00 switch. The bandwidth you'll save is HUGE. Google the difference, an explanation is far too long.
good luck and let us know

Thanks dedub,

I've run the Network Wizard many times with no luck...

I think I might just pay someone to come in and have a look at the network. It's a lot harder to fix the problem when you can't see the computer...

Once again, thanks for your help ;)

Can I ask why all the other computers are going through another computer and not directly into the router?

I don't know. I'm no a networkin Guru... I just wanted a main compuetr which all the other computers shared the files from...

OK srry about this mr. tech but i need to know how u got internet connection through your network. I try and it just says ip address is already being used when i try to turn (ics) on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom