Networking Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornick

Baseband Member
I've got a bit of a dilemma that I've gotten myself into and am confused on how to get out. :)

I've started a home business and want to separate my home computers from my business computers. That's the basic idea.

What' I've got:
A Linksys Wireless G router that connects my 2 home computers using DHCP.
A Linksys 4 port router that connects my business machines using DHCP.
A Linksys switch that connects my 2 linksys routers and my Vonage phone to the internet.

This is best 'text' image I can give.

+->vonage
Cable Modem -> switch -|
+->linksys->home network
+->linksys->work network

I have network connectivity on my work network but not on my home network.

I tried changing my IP settings on the Linksys router for work to 192.168.10.1. If I do that, I can't seem to connect to the internet anymore.

I've tried reseting the switch, and the home router and still can't get anything. The home router isn't getting an IP from my internet provider.

me = stumped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Try putting a router before the switch. Unless you are paying for two IP's from your provider using the switch before the router won't work.
You can have vonage>router1>router2>switch>PC's or
vonage>router1>switch>router2>pc's
You will have to be sure that you set up the network denying access between the two. Or you may be able to only use 1 router and configure it for two network segments.

I'm sorry, the image didn't come out as good as I hoped. So I just created this in paint. :)

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 40
As Dave already stated, you need to be doing NAT for this to work, which will require a NAT device bewteen the switch and the modem. The alternative (already mentioned also) is to have an IP address for each network.

yep, you were right.

sorry for the delay, haven't had time to get on the board. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom