networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem, the home pc and the laptop are routered and i DO NOT have access to the laptop. He has a windows password on it at the startup screen. So I guess I have to do something that will track through the routered network. I do know that these are networked together. Now in a tigh spot arent I .
Rhonda

You're going have to find a way to install the server on his laptop. If it is running Windows XP Pro you can try to log in with the administrator account. Sometime this account is not password protected. Heres how you do it, when the computer starts just before the windows logo keep pressing F8, then a list will show up, select safe mode with networking. Windows should display all account that is on that laptop. This only works for XP Pro.

XP Home you can't do, and I don't think you can do on Windows 2000 either. But there are programs out there that can reset the password, clear the password. You do not want to do this because he will know you were messing with his laptop if you clear out his password.

But there is a way to view his password, this is much too advanced and requires a bootable linux CD, you'll have to be able to copy the SAM and SECURITY hives from his system onto a floppy and use john the ripper to crack the password. I have the paper and documentation with step by step instruction from my instructor if you want to take a look. It's alot of work though.

BTW tell me what OS he is running on the laptop, I'll try to come up with some easy password cracker if I could.

You can try to guess the password, but after like 3 or 4 tries the computer will lock you out and you will have to restart the machine.

right i have already been locked out quite a few times. If i could just track the e-mail and dial-up chat and im's i would be happy. If there is any remedy for this please guide me
rhonda

IMHO, your best bet is just to talk with him and maintain an open honest & trusting relationship. For someone with such limited technical knowledge to try and snoop is just disaster waiting to happen. 1 of 2 things is GARUNTEED to happen....

1. You will find what you suspect, and it will cause major issues with the relationship... not pleasent to go through.

2. You will find NOTHING, meaning, either he is faithful & trusting, or he knows how to not get caught.

Snooping on his laptop is likely going to be painful or make you feel guilty depending on what is found, and i would have to advise against doing it. But it is your call after all. I just wanted to caution you before you get too far in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom